WDT Reloaded - History and Evolution of the Weiss Distribution Technique [video] - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Vindibona1

#11: Post by Vindibona1 »

I've been using Lance's third technique, bottom to top for a few weeks and I think, based on the naked PF stream and shot times everything is more consistent. If my visual cues are correct, the funnel that Lance is using sits on the outside of the basket rather than on the inside, the latter creating a channel around the inner circumference of the basket. I have the former, but about a month ago I got one that sits on the outside and I think that makes a difference. The collar of the funnel on the outside also made even distribution easier.

After using the WTD I use an OCD copy/variant with a very shallow depth set, not meant to tamp, but just even out the top layer, followed by tamping.

FWIW my WDT is a home made one with acupuncture needles shoved into a Proseco cork with the sharp ends cut off. I got the needles from a 3D printer cleaning kit. They seem to have the right amount of flexibility and definitely produce better distribution than earilier WDT versions that I made.

Since establishing the above procedures there has definitely been an improvement in the consistency, both in how the "stream" comes together almost immediately after the basket bottom starts to saturate, but the timing of my shots. If only my milk art could see such an improvement :0.

bostonbuzz

#12: Post by bostonbuzz »

Can't believe he tried to credit himself for the hypotrochoidal movement. I think I read Dan suggest that method about 10 years ago but can't remember.
LMWDP #353

JR_Germantown

#13: Post by JR_Germantown »

Lancehedrick wrote: And I was unaware if the spirograph. Didn't mean to reinvent or rename anything! Just ignorance. Adding that link to the caption now!
Hey, Lance! I had no idea you were on here. I heard you're in Portugal now.

Jack

Lancehedrick

#14: Post by Lancehedrick »

Hey! I have already apologized to Dan and he understands. If you look at the caption, I have given credit there. I always try to be the most authentic I can. I had never seen it before. When I learned, no one show me that. But I was sent the image he made with the spirograph and have linked that to the caption. Cheers

Lancehedrick

#15: Post by Lancehedrick »

Hey Jack!
Yes! I am in Portugal and have been loving it. Moved for the family and we couldn't be happier!

jdrobison

#16: Post by jdrobison »

Lancehedrick wrote:Hey! I have already apologized to Dan and he understands. If you look at the caption, I have given credit there. I always try to be the most authentic I can. I had never seen it before. When I learned, no one show me that. But I was sent the image he made with the spirograph and have linked that to the caption. Cheers
Everyone else got it Lance :)

okmed

#17: Post by okmed »

BaristaBoy E61 wrote:If you want to learn something new - read an old book!
I love this line. I was just listening to a bunch of Albert Einstein quotes and this would have fit right in.

HB (original poster)
Admin

#18: Post by HB (original poster) »

bostonbuzz wrote:I think I read Dan suggest that method about 10 years ago but can't remember.
Lancehedrick wrote:I have already apologized to Dan and he understands.
If it's any comfort, I had forgotten too; John is the one who reminded me. It was over 16 years ago. :shock:
Dan Kehn

bostonbuzz

#19: Post by bostonbuzz »

I've been doing it like that since you posted that picture!! I feel like a home barista historian. :mrgreen:
LMWDP #353

HB (original poster)
Admin

#20: Post by HB (original poster) »

John was also interviewed for Daily Coffee News in What is WDT in Espresso?
Howard Bryman wrote:Along with the recent boom in home espresso preparation has come an associated flood of accessories to support the craft, including many variations of something called a WDT tool. WDT stands for Weiss Distribution Technique, an espresso preparation technique attributed to retired computer scientist and biochemistry PhD John Weiss.

The tool used to perform this technique typically involves an array of needles or other slim protrusions extending from a handheld piece. The tool is used to stir the freshly ground coffee in an espresso portafilter basket prior to tamping.

WDT is not a widely adopted practice behind fast-paced, high-volume commercial coffee bars. Yet for home and professional baristas in calmer settings, WDT is now a common and oft-recommended technique, with WDT tools proliferating all over the world. This begs the questions, 'Why are people stirring their espresso grounds?' and 'Who is John Weiss?' Daily Coffee News went straight to the source to find out.

(cont'd)
Dan Kehn