Plumbing in Londinium Compressa - Page 3

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
macaber8 (original poster)

#21: Post by macaber8 (original poster) »

jdawg18 wrote:@macaber8 were you able to get a setup going? I just bought a Londinium Compressa + setup a tank/pump/accumulator setup. Also located in SF.
Hi jdawg18,

Nice to meet you!!! After a lot of research, I ended up getting ACS Vesuvius EVO that come with a rotary pump.

Correction, not rotary pump, gear pump I think.

msg

#22: Post by msg »

Considering a Londinium Compressa. Debating how to plumb it like a coffee cart. I don't have a water line near my machine location.

Imagining a water jug, pump, and variable pressure regulator direct into the machine. Plus tubing and a shut off valve :)

I have excellent filtered tap water already.

Looking at this pump + accumulator:

https://www.freshwatersystems.com/produ ... ost-system

For a water jug, have limited space, planning to find a 2 - 3 gallon model. Does the jug need to be sealed? Or does it need a vent? I've seen Caffewerks' pickup tubes, but that appears to result in a closed system.

The Compressa needs between 1.5 bar - 6 bar. Any recommendations on a variable pressure regulator that can go to 6bar/90 psi?

Anything else I'm missing?

Cuprajake

#23: Post by Cuprajake »

https://coffeehit.co.uk/products/flojet ... water-pump

i know its uk, but im sure you can find it

msg

#24: Post by msg replying to Cuprajake »

I don't believe that model of flojet provides enough pressure for the Compressa.

Cuprajake

#25: Post by Cuprajake »

max pressure is 2.7 bar,

but you get the jist of where i was going

baldheadracing
Team HB

#26: Post by baldheadracing »

msg wrote:... For a water jug, have limited space, planning to find a 2 - 3 gallon model. Does the jug need to be sealed? Or does it need a vent? I've seen Caffewerks' pickup tubes, but that appears to result in a closed system.
There has to be some way for air to enter the jug as the water level in the jug goes down. Typically, the cap around the intake tube doesn't seal perfectly and slides up and down the tube. Systems typically come with a tube long enough for a 5 gallon carboy. You can cut the intake tube's length to match your jug.
msg wrote:I don't believe that model of flojet provides enough pressure for the Compressa.
BW5000's are good for about 40psi. There are high-flow and low-flow versions.

I believe input pressure is pretty much equal to pre-infusion pressure on the Compressa, so it depends on what one likes for pre-infusion pressure, which depends on the coffee and the machine. For example, for conventional (not hybrid) HX levers, 1.1-1.2 bar for a dipper-style shot, 2.2 bar for Northern Italian medium roasts, 3 to 4 bar for lighter (not filter) roasts, etc. (N.B.: This is not dogma.)
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada