Comments on La Marzocco Linea Micra Espresso Machine Review - Page 23

Behind the scenes of the site's projects and equipment reviews.
baldheadracing
Team HB

#221: Post by baldheadracing »

jordanborth wrote:Considering the machine goes into stand-by, and auto on/off require the machine being turned on, is there any reason to ever turn the machine off at the switch?
I turn the machine off when I'm going away for a weekend. I'm not sure if this is just on the early production review unit that I have, but the machine that I am reviewing doesn't recover the stand-by setting after a power outage. What I mean is:
1. I have the main switch "on," stand-by is set to 10 minutes, and the machine is off. Everything works as normal.
2. Mains power is cut.
3. When the mains power comes back, the machine comes on, and stays on, i.e., the stand-by setting is ignored by the machine.
4. I go into the app, change the stand-by setting to something other than 10 minutes, quit the app, and then start the app up again, change the stand-by setting to 10 minutes - and then stand-by works again.

YMMV.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

jordanborth

#222: Post by jordanborth »

Thanks @RapidCoffee and @baldheadracing.

Have there been any comparisons between the stock Micra basket and VST baskets?
Less, but better.

Jeff
Team HB

#223: Post by Jeff »

Baskets are very dependent on coffee, grinder, skill, and desired result. VST baskets (or IMS or ...) are not always "better" that stock baskets, especially now that most baskets are "precision" compared to what was shipping 20 years ago. In many cases, especially for classic espresso, other baskets can be more forgiving of grinder and prep, provide a preferred flavor, or both. La Marzocco ships high-quality baskets with the Micra. Their baskets often appear to be from the same OEM as VST uses.

RapidCoffee
Team HB

#224: Post by RapidCoffee »

jordanborth wrote:Have there been any comparisons between the stock Micra basket and VST baskets?
Honestly I'm a bit confused by this question. What comparisons are you looking for?

FWIW I pulled shots on the Micra using a variety of HQ baskets (14g and 17g LM, 15g and 18g Decent, EPNW "14g" ridged and ridgeless). All baskets gave good results (with appropriate dose and grind settings). Bottom line: the LM baskets are just fine. But please experiment with different baskets, along with different roast/dose/grind/brew temp/etc., to determine what works best for your taste buds.
John

baldheadracing
Team HB

#225: Post by baldheadracing »

jordanborth wrote:Thanks @RapidCoffee and @baldheadracing.

Have there been any comparisons between the stock Micra basket and VST baskets?
The baskets that come with the Micra are the usual straight-ish-sided La Marzocco baskets.

I would expect that differences in taste would mostly be due to different grind settings.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

boren

#226: Post by boren »

Is there a way to manually pause the pump (or line in preinfusion) when the puck is fully saturated? On my machine (a Lelit Bianca) I find that programmed preinfusion times don't work well when I switch between beans or baskets, being frequently too long or too short. This is why I ended up disabling timed preinfusion altogether.

Jake_G
Team HB

#227: Post by Jake_G »

boren wrote:Is there a way to manually pause the pump (or line in preinfusion) when the puck is fully saturated? On my machine (a Lelit Bianca) I find that programmed preinfusion times don't work well when I switch between beans or baskets, being frequently too long or too short. This is why I ended up disabling timed preinfusion altogether.
Unfortunately not without adding a pump kill switch or flow control to stop the flow manually.

Cheers!

- Jake
LMWDP #704

JoeSlabo

#228: Post by JoeSlabo »

@boren You could add the Grafikus needle valve Kit which would give you manual control over an adjustable pre-infusion. You could then use that until you just see drips start before engaging full pump pressure. https://grafikus-coffeetec.de/en/produc ... entil-kit/

coffeeyoutoo

#229: Post by coffeeyoutoo »

@another_jim
I run a cafe
I have been using synesso mvp hydra 3gr for over 7 years.
Syneso is equipped with a 0.6mm ruby on the extraction solenoid valve.
lenea micra Also, there is a 0.6mm ruby attached to the solenoid valve.
Also, while running a cafe, I never used pre-infusion when extracting extreme light roasted espresso.
Pre-infusion creates malty defects and deteriorates the clean cup.
I prefer to dose 18g into a 22g VST basket, create a very large headspace, and extract with a direct 9bar.
It has better balance and a clean cup.
★ Helpful

another_jim
Team HB

#230: Post by another_jim »

coffeeyoutoo wrote: @another jim ...
Syneso is equipped with a 0.6mm ruby on the extraction solenoid valve.
linea micra Also, there is a 0.6mm ruby attached to the solenoid valve.
Also, while running a cafe, I never used pre-infusion when extracting extreme light roasted espresso.
Pre-infusion creates malty defects and deteriorates the clean cup.
I prefer to dose 18g into a 22g VST basket, create a very large headspace, and extract with a direct 9bar.
It has better balance and a clean cup.
Thanks. That's an interesting take on how the Micra produces very good shots with little trouble.

How fine do you need to grind to use 18 grams in a 22 gram VST basket?
Jim Schulman