Comments on La Marzocco Linea Micra Espresso Machine Review - Page 20

Behind the scenes of the site's projects and equipment reviews.
Shakespeare
Supporter ♡

#191: Post by Shakespeare »

Interesting Sage/Breville comparison'

DaveB

#192: Post by DaveB »

Shakespeare wrote:Interesting Sage/Breville comparison
Cool to see them side-by-side. When my girlfriend is at my place we use the BDB. When I'm at her place, it's the Micra.
Both machines are awesome in their own ways. While the BDB makes top quality microfoam second to none, it's astonishing how much more powerful the steam is on the Micra - even at its lowest setting.
Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Jaroslav

#193: Post by Jaroslav »

Nice additions to the review guys! Has anyone tested the total heat-up time with the original spouted stainless steel portafilter?
Jaroslav

Jeff
Team HB

#194: Post by Jeff »

AssafL wrote: So an obvious question is whether the Micra is as forgiving with all baskets - or is the forgiveness factor basket dependent?
I found it forgiving even with VST baskets and no PI.

cannonfodder
Team HB

#195: Post by cannonfodder »

Jaroslav wrote:Nice additions to the review guys! Has anyone tested the total heat-up time with the original spouted stainless steel portafilter?
I noted warmup times in my portion of the review but I did not try it with the standard LM stainless portafilter. In my opinion, there is just not enough room under the spouts and the slanted handle prevents a comfortable workflow. They do fit, and you can use them, but the portafilter it comes with is a much better option. I used the spouted bottoms 3 or 4 times then used it bottomless for the rest of the time.
Dave Stephens

Jaroslav

#196: Post by Jaroslav replying to cannonfodder »

Thanks Dave, I'd say there's just enough space for those not using a scale every time, but that's based on the below picture only. The heat up time with stainless steel portafilter still interests me.

Jaroslav

PaulTheRoaster

#197: Post by PaulTheRoaster »

It has a plastic dispersion disc, so I'd be a bit surprised if a full stainless steel pf ever heated up.

Jake_G
Team HB

#198: Post by Jake_G replying to PaulTheRoaster »

Why would a plastic dispersion disc impact portafilter heating at all? It's not like the portafilter is ever in contact with the dispersion disc. The heat transfer is from the bayonet ring, which is either stainless steel or chromed brass.
LMWDP #704

PaulTheRoaster

#199: Post by PaulTheRoaster replying to Jake_G »

I was thinking of convection from the disc but you're right. It seems like my bayonet ring and pf don't get that hot compared to my previous machines but I don't have any data.

cannonfodder
Team HB

#200: Post by cannonfodder »

Jaroslav wrote:Thanks Dave, I'd say there's just enough space for those not using a scale every time, but that's based on the below picture only. The heat up time with stainless steel portafilter still interests me.

That photo is deceiving. With an LM spouted portafilter and a 'standard' size demi cup, there is about 1/4 inch clearance FYI. Also as I noted in my writeup, the angled handle hangs down in the way and I smacked it several times with my cup which is why the stock portafilter has a straight handle. But yes, you could do it if you really wanted.

Dave Stephens