Cormorant Squeaking and Grinding - Page 6

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Capuchin Monk

#51: Post by Capuchin Monk »

Milligan wrote:I wouldn't have thought he'd have an oversight like that if he put them together.
But don't they test run each machine before shipping out? At least that's what I've heard from espresso machine retailers.

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#52: Post by Milligan replying to Capuchin Monk »

Mine didn't do it right away. It started happening after roughly several roasts and slowly got worse.

NH

#53: Post by NH »

My squeak is back. Was gone for about 10 sessions. Will tear this thing apart and lube it up again. Not sure what else to do.
Through hard work, victory!

qdawgg17

#54: Post by qdawgg17 »

Do you think he's outsourcing some of the roaster now and quality has gone down? I know before he was putting them together by hand but it doesn't sound like that's happening anymore or at least more of the machine is put together somewhere else.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#55: Post by JohnB. »

NH wrote:My squeak is back. Was gone for about 10 sessions. Will tear this thing apart and lube it up again. Not sure what else to do.
I would think that you would want to find the cause of the squeak & fix the problem permanently. The motor cover/shaft area is different on my early version so I can't offer any specific advice. If something is rubbing on the shaft or motor cover there should be some visible marks.
LMWDP 267

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#56: Post by JohnB. »

qdawgg17 wrote:Do you think he's outsourcing some of the roaster now and quality has gone down? I know before he was putting them together by hand but it doesn't sound like that's happening anymore or at least more of the machine is put together somewhere else.
I doubt it but you could send him an email and ask? Could be down to the QC of the parts he's able to source with all the supply chain issues.
LMWDP 267

ShotClock (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#57: Post by ShotClock (original poster) »

Nik - Did you try putting a touch of mineral oil on the bearing faces at the front and rear of the drum? That fixed mine, even though I basically just swiped it with an oily finger - no disassembly at all.

NH

#58: Post by NH »

I haven't tried that. It *seems* to be coming from inside the motor housing, though it's hard for me to tell. The squeaks comes on once it's heated up and gets worse as it's cooling down. Very low speeds (< 2v) seem to quiet it, but not always eliminate it. At room temp, no squeak. The best option as JohnB suggested above is to figure out what's going on and fix it. I'll start with a tear down and re-lube, and will let Johan know the squeak reappeared.

The better news is that I'm actually starting to be able to pay attention to all the various aspects of roasting after doing it a couple of times. One step further toward unconscious competence (which I'm a long way from.)
Through hard work, victory!

qdawgg17

#59: Post by qdawgg17 »

I did e-mail him when I placed an order. He said he was putting mineral oil on it when he got them in. Which made it seem like maybe he wasn't putting them together anymore. I also don't know that putting a few drops of mineral oil on it is the best overall solution if older models aren't squeaking. Hence why I'm asking to try to figure out if there's a QC issue. I'm in the states and now a little worried spending the $ and having it maybe not last 10-15 yrs.

ShotClock (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#60: Post by ShotClock (original poster) »

Interesting - that's a much higher frequency sound than the one that i was getting. Might be worth trying a dab of oil on the faces anyway, as it's such a simple thing to try. Either way, I'm sure that Johan will see you right.