How would I try to make this drink at home? The new "Magic Coffee" thread - Page 2

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
Milligan
Supporter ❤

#11: Post by Milligan »

Media giving a rather normal drink in the specialty coffee world a sensational name, imagine that. :D

edh

#12: Post by edh »

Milligan wrote:Media giving a rather normal drink in the specialty coffee world a sensational name, imagine that. :D
No, no, this a brand new thing. :lol: From the Delish article the OP provided:
Now, lets take a look at the essential ingredient of this exciting new addition to the coffee world: ristretto.
I see that the name Magic Coffee has been trade marked. Oh well, I'll just have to continue to call it what I and the central and southern Italians(where it is customary to pull short) always have; a double cappuccino. I will have to admit though, SAKA Gran Bar or Top Selection pulled 17/17 in a 6oz cup filled with heavily textured milk is magic.

Ed

jdrobison

#13: Post by jdrobison »

The way they describe it

"half the amount of water with a shorter extraction time" and "When you extract a shot of coffee, the flavour journey usually goes like this: acidity, sweetness, then bitterness. If you shorten the extraction time, you minimise that bitterness at the end."

Makes it sound like they're not pulling a ristretto as much as they're just stopping it short.

spasypaddy

#14: Post by spasypaddy »

I've joined home barista for this topic :)