Melted plastic removal from chrome.

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Kaffee Bitte

#1: Post by Kaffee Bitte »

So my partner placed a grocery bag right next to my hot machine and the bag melted to the chrome on the side of my boiler. Not wanting to remove the chrome as well I figured I would ask advice on getting it off. Gently with a razor blade?

Lynn G.
LMWDP # 110

RobAnybody

#2: Post by RobAnybody »

You could try rubbing an ice cube over the molten plastic (empty the boiler first) or fill the boiler with cold water and ice cubes. The difference in shrinking between the boiler and the plastic should make it loose enough to remove. (I've done the hasher version of this with liquid nitrogen when some prankster glued various objects to my desk with a glue gun)
LMWDP #647

cafeIKE

#3: Post by cafeIKE »

Not tried either...

Hunker

The Spruce

bonjing

#4: Post by bonjing »

No clue, but if you do the razor route, use a plastic scraper or Amazon sells plastic razors.

JamesB517

#5: Post by JamesB517 »

RobAnybody wrote:You could try rubbing an ice cube over the molten plastic (empty the boiler first) or fill the boiler with cold water and ice cubes. The difference in shrinking between the boiler and the plastic should make it loose enough to remove. (I've done the hasher version of this with liquid nitrogen when some prankster glued various objects to my desk with a glue gun)
I agree with this suggestion, this should probably be your first attempt of getting this off.
Life is like a shot of espresso. You never know what you're gonna get.

Randy G.

#6: Post by Randy G. »

I keep a 100-count box of the plastic razor blades around and they get a lot of use. But that is a last resort here I think. I would experiment with some of those bags. Melt some (outdoors!) to something like an old chrome appliance (or your partner's car's bumper) or try some solvents like acetone, lacquer thinner or MEK or something nasty like that. After that try a hair dryer or heat gun, or maybe just let the machine heat up like it did when the plastic melted. If you get it soft enough you might be able to use rags to wipe the soft plastic off.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

Kaffee Bitte (original poster)

#7: Post by Kaffee Bitte (original poster) »

Never heard of plastic razors before, but thanks for the handy item I didn't know I needed.

As to remelting it that ship has flown. This happened at least a month ago now and I didn't notice until several cycles or more (I have some interesting object permanence issues). It is cooked a bit has flaked and I have removed that stuff easy.

Plastic razor and slow delicate work seem workable for me. Less likely than steel razors to chip surely.

Actually think I have a kitchen scraper that may work.
Lynn G.
LMWDP # 110

SutterMill

#8: Post by SutterMill »

I've used easy off on chrome moto exhaust to remove plastic. In fact I think it was a shopping bag if memory serves correct. Worked well granted the stain was much newer than OPs. You can also spray onto a rag and "soak" the spot for a bit.

I've heard Magic erasers work well if wet as long as the plastic is thick. I might try that last.

Best of luck. Be sure to let us know what worked.

Kaffee Bitte (original poster)

#9: Post by Kaffee Bitte (original poster) »

My plastic dough scraper worked to get the stuck bits off without too much work. There was still some residual left though so used some isopropyl alcohol to finish the last layer. Shined up nice. I mean there is some patina from hard love over the years but still shines with a polish.

Lynn G.
LMWDP # 110

SutterMill

#10: Post by SutterMill »

A fantastic job well done. Congratulations