Inexpensive coffee roasting - Page 5

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Capuchin Monk

#41: Post by Capuchin Monk »

Speaking of the smell in the neighborhood, one area of the town which I once thought about moving to, smelled like trash dumpster in the entire area during summer. Turns out that there is a garbage processing facility a mile away and the wind typically blows from that direction. The smell isn't noticeable during winter but when the summer comes, whew!!! It's unfortunate because it's a nice area of town with many upscale residential buildings. I don't know how those residents deal with it. :shock:

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#42: Post by Milligan »

I have pretty bad allergies during spring and fall. My neighbors insist on burning their leaves during the fall. It is the worst! I ended up having to have a talk with them (we are on good terms.). They used to burn every weekend but we agreed that they would pile it up and do it all at once after all the leaves have fallen. That way I can be out of the area while they do it.

For some reason the coffee roasting smoke doesn't do much to me. It is funny how much comes out when dropping the beans even with the exhaust going full blast. It would be nice to have a vent hood over the entire roaster. I think the Artisan 3E had something like that at one point.

Capuchin Monk

#43: Post by Capuchin Monk »

Milligan wrote:It is funny how much comes out when dropping the beans even with the exhaust going full blast. It would be nice to have a vent hood over the entire roaster. I think the Artisan 3E had something like that at one point.
A cover like this over the bean cooling tray draws the smoke down and out the exhaust when the chute is opened. No stray smoke. I'm thinking about building one for my roaster.