Breville Duo Temp channeling. Is pump failing? - Page 2

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
WWWired

#11: Post by WWWired »

Haha!!! I was looking at two videos and grabbed the wrong link! That's not Milen's video for sure! Will edit it and put the right one in, lol apologies! :)
HB wrote:That's a cool video! Right until it shows him testing it with a loose electrical wire (!!?) right above to a well-grounded sink of water. What could go wrong? :shock:

JerryF50 (original poster)

#12: Post by JerryF50 (original poster) »

Wow, so much information. I didn't realize that after 6 years of making espresso I was still a novice.
The good news is with the suggestion that the grind was not fine enough for the single wall basket I set my Kitchen Aid grinder to the finest grind. That turned out not to be successful as the flow was so slow that after 1 minute I only had an ounce of espresso.

At that point I moved moved the grinder to one setting higher on the Kitchen Aid. !!BINGO!!!

Now I am convinced the problem with using the dual wall basket and foam was that at 6 years it was in need of replacement (probably clogged holes which only let thru foam), but who cares?
Since you have made me a real Barista I now understand the right grind is primo uno for single wall basket espresso, and that is the weapon of choice for good espresso. I don't need a new pump or a new grinder just great advice from pros.

With much gratitude.

JerryF50 (original poster)

#13: Post by JerryF50 (original poster) »

Just wanted folks to know the Kitchen Aid is not just a plastic cheap grinder this model is solid steel with a glass bowl.
It did need some blade realignment but still works great

WWWired

#14: Post by WWWired »

Brilliant JerryF50 and welcome to the Home-Barista community!! You have leveled up! . . . and not just in how much coffee powder expertly receiving the stellar shots from but in knowledge too of extractions and espresso machines increasingly! :) With Dan Kehn's (HB) excellent info above, it appears the mark has been zeroed in on and a great grind setting located by the sounds of it and that fantastic Duo Temp (a great machine too!) responded and developed the highly sought after, and elusive, perfect internal Resistance range in your Brew Hydraulic Pathway for a "Bingo!" moment level extraction that we all are chasing! Awesome! ;)

And the Kitchen Aid Pro-Line Grinder is indeed very excellent as well! Coming in under 10 inches (20 cm) in any dimension it is an amazing size, comparable to the size of a Baratza Encore; this doubly so considering its very substantial 58mm Stainless Steel flat burrs!

Photo Credit: RegulatorJohnson HB Forum Posting

There has also been some past modding of the Kitchen Aid Pro Line Grinder (Model KPCG100PM1), with discussion here on Home-Barista showing swapping in Mazzer Mini Burrs. While the third-party kit no longer appears to be offered, it is an interesting forum thread and enjoyable to read through to show how the coffee community innovates and extends the utility and life of many impressive and high quality machines, saving them from unnecessary premature recycle. The mod does require some rather expert drill/tap and addition of shim skills/activity but even just as a read, is interesting :) The Kitchen Aid Burrs that come with the machine are pretty darn great, however, and can produce excellent grind without question. Evolving tastes might be the only reason to initiate the hunt for the next level of grinder.

Photo Credit: jtrops HB Forum Posting

The Kitchen Aid Pro Line Grinder is fantastic looking as well, as can be seen from JerryF50's awesome photo above . . . all that's needed are two "Nacelles" and a Saucer Section and it would easily be the choice of James Doohan or William Shatner for getting a great espresso grind. Kitchen Aid has a great picture guide (all credit to Kitchen Aid for the graphic) showing its versatility possible from those monster 58mm Burrs! . . .