La Marzocco Linea Micra - Page 52

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
yakster
Supporter ♡

#511: Post by yakster »

Jshot wrote:That's funny. I'd be the opposite. I wouldn't trade my Mini for a Micra. Even with $$ added. In fact, if I were to go back and have the decision to by either, it would be the Mini or some other machine.
Why would you chose the Mini over the Micra?
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

lagoon

#512: Post by lagoon »

Dfreshleish wrote:really having trouble deciding between the Mini or Micra. Was all in on the Mini before the end of the year and this just threw a wrench
Yeah threw a wrench is certainly the case. Even if the Mini was cut to the same price it's now a tough proposition, because the Micra has a number of design improvements and a proper saturated group. Plus faster warmup, lower power consumption, smaller footprint.

I guess people after massive steaming or bigger cup clearance would still go for the mini, but we don't do "milkshakes" in our household, so the Micra seems the better offering.

It sounds like the Mini is going to get a design refresh, but how soon?

Advertisement
HB
Admin

#513: Post by HB »

Jshot wrote:That's funny. I'd be the opposite. I wouldn't trade my Mini for a Micra. Even with $$ added. In fact, if I were to go back and have the decision to by either, it would be the Mini or some other machine.
This reminds me of the joke: Ask 3 home baristas what's the best "XYZ" and you'll get 5 answers (and a lot of arguing).
Dan Kehn

Jshot
Supporter ♡

#514: Post by Jshot »

yakster wrote:Why would you chose the Mini over the Micra?
I prefer the appearance of the Mini. Has more presence with its larger size.

More headspace on the Mini. I came from a Synchronika and found the Mini to be cramped, but found a way to make it work using the custom drip tray and bottomless pf. Now it can accommodate just about any cup. Loosing an inch with the Micra is a no go for me.

Longer steam wand with the Mini. I can froth using just about any size pitcher.

That said, I totally get why LM developed the Micra and why many will want one.

Ben Z.

#515: Post by Ben Z. »

Shakespeare wrote:Take a look at the for sale marketplace in this forum. There are 2 Mini machines at a great price ..if that is what you want
Those seem nice. Why do all la marzoccos always seem to have been "professionally serviced" at some point? I've had my Elektra for like 15 or so years and I've replaced the pressure relief valve on the boiler and maybe thermo safety switch or similar. That's it and there's no way anyone would pay someone else for unscrewing and rescrewing something, right?

I've just ordered a micra and hope that doesn't mean that I'll have annual repairs to look forward to.

malling

#516: Post by malling replying to Ben Z. »

Your elektra is a far less complex machine, the more complex a machine is the more likely it is to need repair and parts replacement over a set period of time and you then often need professional service to figure out what is wrong and to fix it. It's like an old mechanical car vs a new high tech car, the mechanical you can with skill repair yourselves the second needs to be plugged into a diagnostic system to see where the problem lies you can't easily repair those car yourselves without the software to run the diagnostic and although espresso machines aren't that complicated yet I do think we are getting there.

NewCoffeeGuy1

#517: Post by NewCoffeeGuy1 »

rmag wrote:Yea I'm not crazy about leaving it on. Not sure if it will melt something.
Any update? Did the smell go away?

Advertisement
yakster
Supporter ♡

#518: Post by yakster »

Jshot wrote:I prefer the appearance of the Mini. Has more presence with its larger size.

More headspace on the Mini. I came from a Synchronika and found the Mini to be cramped, but found a way to make it work using the custom drip tray and bottomless pf. Now it can accommodate just about any cup. Loosing an inch with the Micra is a no go for me.

Longer steam wand with the Mini. I can froth using just about any size pitcher.

That said, I totally get why LM developed the Micra and why many will want one.
Thanks for the response.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

rmag

#519: Post by rmag »

NewCoffeeGuy1 wrote:Any update? Did the smell go away?
LM told me not to turn it back on after I reported the smell (i've only turned the machine on once). They said some smells are normal, but a smell that fills up the whole house is not. They are sending a local repair company out to investigate this Saturday.

nsgymd
Supporter ♡

#520: Post by nsgymd »

I left my machine in standby mode all day by accident. The burning smell was quite apparent upon my return. I plan to contact LM tomorrow.