Bulk roasting Behmor 1600+ - Page 9

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
billsey

#81: Post by billsey »

I've been roasting on a Behmor since 2007 and as others have said, it will do a decent job but you will be lucky to get a really great roast with it. There are a few mods that can be done to give slightly better control, but the main limitation is the size of the heating elements. To keep the total power requirements low enough to act as a typical kitchen appliance the heaters are sized to work in a 15A circuit and that means roasting a pound of beans is going to take close to 20 minutes, easily double with a better roaster will take, and that leaves a lot of flavor profiles muted. I can consistently get good enough results, much better than anything in the grocery stores, by just choosing decent beans and accepting that I'm not going to draw their best out. I stay away from expensive high end coffees though, since I don't think it will do them justice. For my budget it's about a perfect fit, if I had $5K to burn it'd be on craigslist and I'd have a 1K in the garage instead of the Behmor in my kitchen...

Chef1978

#82: Post by Chef1978 »

So if I prefer more of light- medium roasts it won't do ok? Just like to cover all angles before shelling outfew hundred $$

ira
Team HB

#83: Post by ira »

What coffee are you currently drinking that you're trying to match or better?

Chef1978

#84: Post by Chef1978 »

I'm really not trying to necessarily match anything, but I do enjoy ethiopian, Kenian and central America, to be honest I want to buy and roast as much of different origins as possible, just to know how they test,even if I won't enjoy some of them,that's why ,for now anyway I'm buying 8 oz bags to roast,not big loss if it turns out to be something I don't like.

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#85: Post by Milligan »

Having started on a Behmor with expectations of roasts lighter than Full City/Dark, the Behmor can be very frustrating. I was drinking Onyx, various (good) roaster brands, and local roaster coffees before trying my hand at roasting so the bar was higher than trying to best grocery store coffees. I wasted more coffee than I'd like on it and ended up selling it without having learned much that would translate to a better roasting machine.

Looking back, it was hard to glide into FC for a light roast without either crashing or blowing through too fast. I even managed to have some coffees that were roasty and underdeveloped. There have been folks that have mastered the Behmor with esoteric controls, but again, those controls do not translate to anything else and the skills were hard fought with trial and error due to not having good data outputs.

If I was to start over again on a low budget, I'd go the route of a popcorn popper with a few mods and probes. That way you can start learning artisan and begin to understand insights into heat control, air control, and how different profiles taste. Much more knowledge to be gained from a machine that has the ability to give good data.

espressotime

#86: Post by espressotime »

I' ve got two entry level roasters.Gene cafe and Behmor 2000.
I like both.

billsey

#87: Post by billsey »

I roast mainly to City, sometimes City+ and pretty much never into second crack. I haven't tried a Nordic roast but it's pretty easy to start cooling just before the end of first crack with the Behmor, allowing it to slide through the end to City. My wife doesn't like any bright roasts, so I do the City+ for hers. You can get a bit better control with a 12oz roast in 16oz mode, and I run everything manually with the faster drum speed until the start of first crack.