Anthony Douglas WBC Roast Profile - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
baldheadracing
Team HB

#11: Post by baldheadracing »

GDM528 wrote:Would it be fair to say there are no deaf WBC judges? Maybe it's just me, but that level oratory 'guidance' feels like a gustatory grift.
The guidance has to do with how the competition is scored. To over-simplify, you have to tell the judges what they are going to taste, and you get points if they taste it.
GDM528 wrote:I'm further absorbing the "solubility" remark. Extending the development time will help break down the bean structure and increase the rate of extraction - but how is that better than simply grinding finer or adjusting how the shot is pulled?
Again, it has to do with the format of the competition. You have to use the equipment provided. What you can change/adjust is strictly regulated, and, again, you want to use the equipment in a way that gets you the most points.

If you're interested, then the Onocoffee YouTube channel will no doubt dissect the score sheets once the sheets are made public. He's done it for prior WBC's and USBC's and he also has some explanatory videos explaining the scoring process http://www.youtube.com/c/onocoffee/featured
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

BaristaBob

#12: Post by BaristaBob »

So I have another question for the group. The use of that "disk" to cover the espresso cup and for his specialty drink...what was it? Was it an odor catching disk or just a disk of some sort to trap the aroma? In the end, a smart use of telling the judges what to expect. Personally, I have a much easier time telling friends and family what my espressos smell like, then taste like...which seems more elusive.
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

Milligan (original poster)
Supporter ❤

#13: Post by Milligan (original poster) »

baldheadracing wrote:The guidance has to do with how the competition is scored. To over-simplify, you have to tell the judges what they are going to taste, and you get points if they taste it.
Exactly. His entire presentation was building this up even more. His discussion on expectations vs reality building trust showed how confident he was that everything he said would be tasted in the cup. The judges agreed and he won. It's like a batter pointing where the ball will go.

Trjelenc

#14: Post by Trjelenc »

People gotta remember that WBC isn't "world's best coffee" (or espresso drink), it's about the barista. Part of that is the quality of coffee, but it's all about the crafted drink and how the barista sells it. Telling the judges what they're supposed to taste is part of the competition, just like a good barista might tell you the flavors of the coffee in an intimate preparation

GDM528

#15: Post by GDM528 »

So, has anyone tried holding a roast just barely above first crack for 2-3 minutes, i.e. deliberately 'stall' the roast at a relatively low development temperature?

The word "stall" may have negative connotations, but as the OP points out, perhaps that strategy is a viable tradeoff between triggering development phase chemistry and minimizing degradation of the caramelized sugars?

I've observed an exothermic bump in BT 10-15 seconds before any audible cracking sounds. That exothermic bump implies I hit the threshold for first-crack chemistry before actually hearing it - but that was when I was ramping BT at about 10C/min. If I was slowly approaching FC to avoid overshooting, then I suspect the thermal bump would lead the audible cracks even further, making the total development time even longer than Anthony suggested.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#16: Post by baldheadracing »

That hump/dip happens in ET on most(?) drum roasters. I don't see that on my BT's (nor should I, but that's my roaster). Some say that the dip is the start of first. The dip doesn't happen with all beans in my experience.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Milligan (original poster)
Supporter ❤

#17: Post by Milligan (original poster) »

GDM528 wrote:So, has anyone tried holding a roast just barely above first crack for 2-3 minutes, i.e. deliberately 'stall' the roast at a relatively low development temperature?

The word "stall" may have negative connotations, but as the OP points out, perhaps that strategy is a viable tradeoff between triggering development phase chemistry and minimizing degradation of the caramelized sugars?

I've observed an exothermic bump in BT 10-15 seconds before any audible cracking sounds. That exothermic bump implies I hit the threshold for first-crack chemistry before actually hearing it - but that was when I was ramping BT at about 10C/min. If I was slowly approaching FC to avoid overshooting, then I suspect the thermal bump would lead the audible cracks even further, making the total development time even longer than Anthony suggested.
I've read (and tried) "stalling" a roast after 2C start. I didn't spend enough time developing a post-2C roasting strategy to contribute much on that topic but I do remember reading about that technique and trying it. I found his note in the presentation to be interesting because I've never heard anyone recommend stalling after first crack start. More surprising to hear it in a competition roast.

My main interest was if this was simply a blind spot that I hadn't run across but it seems that it is a rather unorthodox roasting decision. So that is interesting to me.

I think I will send an email to Axil asking about his comment on the roast. Just to see if his numbers were intend correct before actually trying something like this.

N3Roaster

#18: Post by N3Roaster »

GDM528 wrote:So, has anyone tried holding a roast just barely above first crack for 2-3 minutes, i.e. deliberately 'stall' the roast at a relatively low development temperature?
I've done this a few times as part of an exploration into certain flavor changes that happen early between cracks. My lab roaster lets me pull enough to cup from the trier while maintaining a rate of change steady at a bit under 1F°/min. There is a particular flavor which I personally find objectionable (my preference here is not universal) that never goes away until 10F° above the start of first crack regardless of anything else in the roast profile.

drgary
Team HB

#19: Post by drgary »

I've created a new topic to explore Neal's observation, which led to a worthwhile discussion where it will be easier to find, and this topic can focus on the WBC coffee. It's hard to tell the WBC roast profile on the coffee he used by Anthony Douglas's narrative.

Transition from vegetal flavor during first crack
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

COFF3Edrinkinrabbit

#20: Post by COFF3Edrinkinrabbit »

N3Roaster wrote:I've done this a few times as part of an exploration into certain flavor changes that happen early between cracks. My lab roaster lets me pull enough to cup from the trier while maintaining a rate of change steady at a bit under 1F°/min. There is a particular flavor which I personally find objectionable (my preference here is not universal) that never goes away until 10F° above the start of first crack regardless of anything else in the roast profile.
Just came across this post, and I'd like to report that I also came to similar conclusions from my roast experiments. Some "greener" flavor notes just won't go away unless the end temperature exceeds a certain threshold :? . Fine for some particular coffees, disastrous for others.

Also, in the video he stated that the coffee had been "fermented for 80hrs", and from what I know (and what others said in previous replies), these kinds of coffee probably suits the competition and its scoring sheets better (cup-to-profile scorings).

Depending on what exact fermentation process the coffee went through (and probably other green-related factors), from my experience these kinds of coffee might do fine with a "flattened" curve at the end of a roast. Paired with an extended post crack dev time, you could probably bring the acidity of these long fermentation coffee to an intensity thats more balanced, and the relatively low end temp could possibly preserve more of that unique flavors resulting from the fermentation.

And from what I know and heard, these days competition coffee tends to be roasted with faster profiles, so the 24% development probably corresponds to a 2 min post crack development (assuming the total profile is 8min-ish). Quite a normal duration for post crack development if you ask me (still, depends on the actual green and the roaster used)