Counter Culture Hologram, Gradient & Big Trouble - Page 2

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
chanty 77 (original poster)

#11: Post by chanty 77 (original poster) »

Milligan wrote:A friend brought a bag of Hologram over recently and we pulled a few shots. I enjoyed them. We settled on 200F 18g in 36g out in 30-35s. Seems to not mind more time. First one went to 42s and it was still good. I get a nice milk chocolate with more of a fig/raisen fruit note. No blueberry to be found. This one was roasted in Dec 22. I feel like it is pretty solid to be found in some grocery stores. No ashy note at all. I ran a sample on my Roast Vision at a 17. That would be gourmet Agtron "light" but RV says Medium (I tend to lean toward the RV number rather than Agtron these days.)

Bag was about a month off roast before we opened it so a good time to use for espresso.
So I bought a bag of Hologram a few months back. I find your comment intriguing because it made me possibly think of buying it in the future & opening it as the 3rd bag of my three 12 oz bags. That would probably bring it to about 22-23 day post roast. Here's what happened to me: On day 8 post roast of Hologram, lowered temp. to 199°, 18g---seemed bitter no matter what I did to the point of being gross. I saved what I had left for after I put Grindz through my grinder, normally add old beans to clean it out better. Ended up running out of beans & used the older Hologram to find I was pleasantly surprised. It lost the bitterness & was pretty decent.

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#12: Post by Milligan replying to chanty 77 »

You wouldn't happen to remember the specific beans would you? CC puts the blend ratio and bean specific on the back. Mine has 75% Codech, Guatemala and 25% Dambi Udo Natural, Ethiopia on the back. I usually have trouble pulling a decent shot unless the coffee rests for around 2 weeks or so. Sweet spot for most is 2-4 weeks post roast. Sometimes even longer for light roasts.

I've settled on a nice routine of enjoying the first half a bag or half of my 1lb roast in a pour over for the first week and then transitioning it to my espresso area to be used later once it has rested. That way I get a good taste of the coffee and know what flavors to expect when it is time for the espresso. It is fun seeing what the same coffee is like as pour over and espresso. The timing works out well.

#13: Post by chanty 77 (original poster) replying to Milligan »

I just posted something back & it never posted my reply to you--so if you see it twice (delayed reaction). Unfortunately, I finished off the bag that was way over a month old a couple weeks ago & then of course tossed the bag. I think (instead of freezing my 2nd & 3rd 12oz bags at 6-7 days post roast), I will just keep them all in the dark cupboard, with the valve taped over--the one I'm using in the AirScape. Typically, a 12 oz. bag lasts me about 7-9 days. So by the time I would open the 3rd bag, it would be approximately 22-23 days post roast. Sounds like this works for you. I don't think I've noticed much (if any) of a difference since freezing the two 12oz. bags--except sometimes for whatever the reason; the espresso runs quickers & I have to add more grams of beans and/or make the grind finer.

Plopy

#14: Post by Plopy »

I was having SO much trouble with my bag of Hologram purchased at Whole Foods. No matter WHAT I did, the extraction was disgustingly bitter. I remembered back to a comment from Lance Hedrick on starting much coarser than typical to see if you can start your dial-in from there. I finally got a good shot after nearly a whole bag of trying...

Recipe: 18g in, 36g out
Time: 19 seconds total (no pre)
Temp: 93c

Machine: LM Linea Micra
Grinder: Weber EG-1

I think the fast shot time kept the shot from hitting that very easy bitter zone for this coffee (Feb '23, roasted in Emeryville, CA).

The result was juicy, berries and chocolate, sweet and balanced. Thank goodness - I thought this coffee was DOOMED. ;)

#15: Post by chanty 77 (original poster) replying to Plopy »

I found that all I got was grossly bitter with Hologram & literally gave up on it. I had a partial bag left that was probably over a month old easy. I ran out of beans while waiting for my mail order to come in. Used the Hologram and was so surprised how delicious it was, not bitter & tasting some fruit & chocolate--multilayered. Wow, don't know if it was a 'fluke' or what, but it seems (to me anyway) that this particular blend does much better with a LONG rest first.

Coffee_hound

#16: Post by Coffee_hound »

I am working through a bag of big trouble now. It was roasted Feb 28 and I picked it up at the grocery store 4 weeks post roast.
The beans smell great but I have struggled to dial in. Started with 16g in and 25g out and it was sour. I have stuck with the 16 g dose but am grinding finer than for pretty much any medium roast I have tried. I am now aiming for 38g out over 32 to 35s. The sour is gone but not getting any great flavor notes. Have tried as aeropress as well and the flavor was similar.
Anyone else tried Big Trouble recently care to weigh in?

I had some hologram last year that I got direct from Counter Culture. Arrived 3 to 4 days post roast and I started using it pretty much immediately. Don't recall the recipe but pretty sure I was using 2:1 ratio and I was getting citrus/blueberry notes. Pretty good as espresso but didn't hold up to milk. I really enjoy Hologram from aeropress.