Best upgrade for Mazzer Mini doser - Page 4

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
appa

#31: Post by appa »

-I have a Mazzer Mini with a doser.
-The Mazzer Mini is a decent single dose grinder from my experience.
-It depends on the coffee and the dose.
-With medium to dark roasts, its fine.
-If you are grinding for a dose above 14-15 grams, its fine.
-It will NOT do well if your single dose is below 10 grams.
-You can keep it relatively clean, if you want to be safe, grind 1-2 grams before to "clean out" older coffee.
-Put your tamper on top of the throat to help with pop-corning.

Jaroslav

#32: Post by Jaroslav »

Jaroslav wrote:Also, keep in mind that Mazzer makes new burrs for Super Jollys - 233M. I haven't tried these yet but allegedly they're slightly better than the older 033M version.
I thought I'd give an update on this - I've just received the 233M burrs today. Boy, these are fast! I've put them into my Mazzer Mini A, 0,5kg of old beans later dialled in at 7 seconds for 18g of light-medium roasted washed beans from Kenya. I actually have the same coffee in my Mini B with SSP HUs, these need 2 seconds longer for the same output (both grounds amount and espresso recipe). The HU and 233M burrs are actually very similar in taste and texture, I'm pleasantly surprised. The vibrant fruity notes pop a little bit more with the HUs, but the 233M aren't far behind! They are exactly the same texture-wise. Not bad for a 40€ burrset.

Here are the stock 189D and new 233M burrs side by side.

Jaroslav

waffles

#33: Post by waffles »

I am interested in upgrading my 58mm Mini to 64mm burrs. Could one of you please post either the exact P/N or better yet links to which burr carriers I would need? It seems like I could chose from several, compatible ones (branding and/or grinder model). Thanks!

AidanC

#34: Post by AidanC »

Hey Jaroslav,

I support your statement in regards to the Mazzer Mini with RedSpeed SSP.

I originally had been using a Silver Mazzer Mini e with the stock burrs for over 10 years.

Finally after waiting months my new white Mazzer Mini e has arrived, which was bought to match my new setup. I looked at getting a different grinder however the one I want has not yet been distributed widely.

My new Mazzer Mini has the RedSpeed SSP and it has been working well and fine grind settings with no signs of struggle from the grinder. Also the result in the cup has been noticeable even though I probably need to wear in the burrs more (1kg plus has been used so far).

The difference with the SSP that is noticeable is that I can grind finer and can extract more of good flavour compounds without any harshness that I got from the stock burrs. Also it's 3 seconds faster to get to 20 grams and the sounds it's deeper with the high pitch noises eliminated, which is nice.

Jaroslav

#35: Post by Jaroslav replying to AidanC »

Thanks for the update! Did you get HU or MP burrs? Also, did you get the A or B model?
Jaroslav

AidanC

#36: Post by AidanC »

I ended up getting the model A, as I'm used to the that :).
I went with the High Uniformity burrs. It's really does transform the grinder.

I must note that the newer (current) Mazzer mini they have made the adjustment collar easier to make micro adjustments. It was always harder with my older grinder to make smaller changes, especially when going finer.

AidanC

#37: Post by AidanC »

Wow what a great mod for the Mazzer mini. I didn't know about these burrs.

Thanks for posting this.