48mm conical burrs few electric grinders? - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
baldheadracing
Team HB

#11: Post by baldheadracing »

Kaffee Bitte wrote:I wish my Mc4 we're one of the easy converts. It is not though. But really am okay with it remaining stepped as long as I can have a second grinder that is stepless.

MX is the 75mm flat right? Was seriously considering one as well when I saw a deal a while ago.
65mm. The 75mm is the Elektra MXPC/Macap M7.

Too bad about the conversion.

With the BB005, it isn't so much the volume, but the tone - but I am going from memory here, it has been well over five years. If I had a BB005 then I'd consider taking it apart and putting some sound insulation matting like they sell for use in cars on the inside surfaces of the case.

BTW, not sure if you realize that the BB005 has a plastic grind chamber. This is not your Macap :).
Pics of the insides: Bezzera BB005 best value grinder
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Kaffee Bitte (original poster)

#12: Post by Kaffee Bitte (original poster) »

I do get it is a not tank. Not really expecting that at the price point.
Still I do love the tankness of my Macap. It's done a lot of road trips over the years and survived with barely a scratch.

I am pretty happy with the Macap 58mm burrs. They are capable of producing as fine a grind as I could need for any ristretto and rather nice on the turbo end too. Even with steps I can usually find the sweet spot across a broad range of roasts. Personally I think that once you get close to 60 mm on flats the main change is grind speed. And some minor incremental improvement in grinds. Bigger is faster but not necessarily better.

It seemed from various reading that about 48 was similar for Conicals so hence my hunt. And really not much choice in the end I guess. It may be that I do go for a Macap K model. Their conical selection is a bit odd though. The 63 only in doser. 68 for on demand.
I have thwacked more than my fair shair of dosers over the years. Not at home, no.
Lynn G.
LMWDP # 110

Kaffee Bitte (original poster)

#13: Post by Kaffee Bitte (original poster) »

Well you didn't talk me out of it. I bought the Bb005 and will get it early next week. Not expecting lightning and thunder aside from the noise level. It seemed a reasonably priced option to try a conical with my home gear. Plus it is lighter than the m4, so could turn into my travel set in the future.

I almost jumped at a mxk dosered used, but just wasn't sure I could mod it for doserless myself. Not going to twack. I may one day go for the m7k but the weight alone is presently a deal breaker.
Lynn G.
LMWDP # 110