La Pavoni Stradivari channeling on some shots. - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Kaffee Bitte (original poster)

#11: Post by Kaffee Bitte (original poster) »

Piston nut was part of it. The piston was a little too low. Hadn't tightened it down enough.

Behaved itself for that shot. I think I am good to go. Will monitor though.

Thanks for the trouble shooting assistance! It's always better to have more heads.
Lynn G.
LMWDP # 110

homeburrero
Team HB

#12: Post by homeburrero »

Kaffee Bitte wrote:Piston nut was part of it. The piston was a little too low. Hadn't tightened it down enough.

Behaved itself for that shot. I think I am good to go. Will monitor though.
Note that the attachment of the piston to the lever is the pin that goes thru the hole in the lever shaft, not the lever nut. That nut on top only affects the position of the piston at the bottom of the stroke, not the top where the seal passes the inlet. Keep monitoring.

One thing that can affect the position of the piston at the top of the stroke would be if you install the lever upside down. It's very easy to accidentally do that. The pin is off center on the lever yoke:

For topnut adjustment, make sure the shower screen and gasket are installed nice and tight, then loosen both topnuts. With your hand feeling the screen, drop the lever gently down til you can feel that the piston has pressed down on the screen, then screw the lower nut down to where you feel that it prevents the piston from hitting the screen, then lock that nut in place by tightening the topnut against it with two wrenches.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

#13: Post by Kaffee Bitte (original poster) »

The Stradivari lever would be very obviously on wrong and not sure it could even go on the other way with it's shape.

I did fall prey to it on the gen 3 group when swapping the piston sleeve, but first pull was so wonky I realized my error.
Lynn G.
LMWDP # 110

homeburrero
Team HB

#14: Post by homeburrero »

Kaffee Bitte wrote:The Stradivari lever would be very obviously on wrong and not sure it could even go on the other way with it's shape.
:lol: - - you did clearly say it was a Stradivari. I need to pay better attention. :oops:
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

#15: Post by Kaffee Bitte (original poster) »

Ha ha. No worries. It's easy to read something and still not process it.
There is plenty of evidence of this for me right on this forum.

So far has not channeled again. Fingers crossed
Lynn G.
LMWDP # 110

#16: Post by Kaffee Bitte (original poster) »

No return of channeling issues, but the lever position when water enters is definitely higher, maybe a half inch of lever rise to the top which is messing with my sense of the pull. So I do wonder if the inlet is at the wrong height with this stainless piston sleeve. I am off tomorrow so going to pull both groups and take both sleeves out for a closer look. I know the one in the Stradivari is a little off center of where it was supposed to sit I may just swap them between groups and see if the same thing happens in the gen 3 pro.
Lynn G.
LMWDP # 110