Espresso Consistently Tastes Flat/Muted - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Milligan
Supporter ❤

#11: Post by Milligan »

Cafe grinders distribute very nicely directly into the portafilter. A quick shake or tap is all the barista needs to level then tamp. It can be magical to watch some baristas work. My E37S fluffs and lays the grounds nicely into the portafilter and its not on the same level as high end grinders that cafes use.

Something to consider is to sign up for a barista course. I'm sure there are a lot of options in your area. There is so much noise on youtube and a lot of tips and tricks to wade through on the forums. I struggled with steaming milk correctly for latte art. It was either too thick like a cappuccino or thin. It was hard to hit the right consistency. So I took a milk steaming course. The hands-on training was like a eureka moment. "OH! That's what is wrong!" It wasn't necessarily my technique, it was how the machine was set up. In may case, the biggest factor was that I needed to try it on a properly set up machine. I needed to adjust my steam pressure up quite a bit. Plus I learned exactly what to look for with a trainer guiding me. You can save yourself months of trial and error by taking a course, or in your case, save the hobby completely.

Maybe even offer the barista at the cafe you are trying to replicate a $100-200 to spend an hour or so with you at your place to figure it out? Worth a shot.

thecoffeefield (original poster)

#12: Post by thecoffeefield (original poster) »

That's exactly what I'm thinking regarding hiring someone for hands on training. I think at this point it's the only thing left before I fold.

MNate

#13: Post by MNate »

Or...
Don't try to get the same taste as your local shop. Try some of the commonly recommended blends on HB and see if you can get some things you enjoy. You'll improve over time.

After 8 years I'm still more often in the camp of "it is what it is" than really knowing how to tweak for a flavor profile I think I should be getting. Move on to another bean and you'll improve over time.

mrgnomer

#14: Post by mrgnomer »

Lots of parameters and variables with extraction. Puck prep technique does need to be good to isolate other variables. A good prep and extraction time should leave a solid dry puck with a shot that reflects other parameters like grind setting/extraction ratio, extraction pressure and brew temperature. You can get a great looking shot that doesn't taste as good as it looked because of the other parameters. Experiment with the variables after getting good with puck prep and eventually you hit what works. From there it's fine tuning. Getting familiar with the variables and tasting the differences in extractions when you change them one way or another is the way I find leads to being able to control them to get the flavours you prefer.

Hang in. There are a lot of guides on HB. Try different stuff like dosing volumes, grind settings, basket loading, distribution, tamping techniques. There's more than one way to puck prep. Gorilla tamping used to be the thing. Now it's even distribution and leveling with a light tamp if you tamp at all. I'm from the time when medium to dark roasts were the standard and firm tamping was the thing. Still do it as a nutating or EWNS tamp with a level finish and a polishing spin. Seals the edges pretty good but might not be so good to compact the puck too much for light roasts, which is more of the thing now. I've got to experiment with changing to lighter tamping for light roasts.
Kirk
LMWDP #116
professionals do it for the pay, amateurs do it for the love