Does Bosco have a "reset button" - would not heat today - Page 5

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
BaristaBoy E61

#41: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

At the very least, I would accurately measure the element's resistance and then apply Ohm's Law to determine the rest, Watts & Amps based on voltage.
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

BaristaBoy E61

#42: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

Jasper_8137 wrote:Quick question, I was just looking at my Pstat and noticed it's a 30amp unit. When looking at descriptions on espressoparts.com, it looks like it can be used for 120/20, 220/30 with max amps of 30. Just curious if it's ok that it's a 30amp on a 120v machine. Based on the description, it seems ok, but would like to verify.

At the very least, I would accurately measure the element's resistance and then apply Ohm's Law to determine the rest, Watts & Amps based on voltage.
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

truemagellen

#43: Post by truemagellen »

Jasper_8137 wrote:Quick question, I was just looking at my Pstat and noticed it's a 30amp unit. When looking at descriptions on espressoparts.com, it looks like it can be used for 120/20, 220/30 with max amps of 30. Just curious if it's ok that it's a 30amp on a 120v machine. Based on the description, it seems ok, but would like to verify.

This is common and not an issue. It is a mechanical contactor driven by a pressure membrane and so the contactors can support up to 30amp. Good news is unless the membrane is damaged you won't need to replace it probably ever.

Jasper_8137 (original poster)

#44: Post by Jasper_8137 (original poster) »

truemagellen wrote:This is common and not an issue. It is a mechanical contactor driven by a pressure membrane and so the contactors can support up to 30amp. Good news is unless the membrane is damaged you won't need to replace it probably ever.
Thanks! This was what I was hoping was the case.

I've still not heard from Bosco, but sounds like they are still on vacation. Hopefully I can get a new element soon to get this machine up and running. I've been using my LMLM for the past week - shots are great but I really miss the bosco!

Jasper_8137 (original poster)

#45: Post by Jasper_8137 (original poster) »

I finally did reach Roberta and purchased 2 new elements so I would have a spare (they were actually quite cheap). I drained the boiler, took the Pstat off and pulled the old element which did not have an obvious signs of damage. I did check the new element w/ my voltage meeter and it was indicating ~ 8 ohms, which is what I understand it should show. Put in the new element, used the manual fill to fill the boiler half way and then plugged it in and turned it on. The autofill worked as it should and the machine heated right to the pressure it was set before it stopped working. I have now had it to temp for ~ 1 hour and no leaks. The pstat kicks in as it should and when water is pulled from the boiler, the autofill works correctly. I'm not sure why it wasn't working when I disconnected the wire leading to water level sensor, but at this point, I think the Gicar is working just fine. Interestingly, when I plugged in the machine, there was a bit of a hum from the pstat, almost like a vibration. When I moved it on the mount slightly, the noise went away and I haven't heard anything since. Has anyone ever known the pstat to surge resulting in too much power going to the element, causing the element to burn out? Not sure if this is even possible as my electrical knowledge is not extensive, but wonder if that was what got everything out of whack to begin with.
Regardless, I appreciate everyone's help and am thrilled the bosco is back to running conditions.
Cheers!

truemagellen

#46: Post by truemagellen »

Pstat is just a contractor so a switch connecting and disconnecting the power to the element based on the membrane that moves with pressure.

As for vibrating or buzzing that can be a sign of a poor connection in the contactor which sometimes goes away (could be dirt or other grime on contacts and then it burns off). But this would lead to resistance but not a way to lead to a surge. Resistance can still put a load on the entire system as it leads to heat at weakest points in circuit. Hopefully my crude explanation makes sense

So my only advice is clean contacts of pstat and make sure all wire connectors are and connections are secure.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#47: Post by JohnB. »

Good to hear that your Bosco is back up and running. I reviewed some of my old correspondence with Roberta from 2015 and was reminded that the thermostat that protects my element was an option that Roberta thinks is unique to my Sorrento. There is also a red warning light mounted near the bottom of the sight glass that will light up if the thermostat is activated due to a boiler overtemp issue. My 2011 machine was ordered through Reiss (Londinium) when he was a Bosco dealer & he requested that the protection circuit be installed.
LMWDP 267