Delicate brown sugar/toffee note. How to amplify? - Page 3

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Miltonedgebert (original poster)

#21: Post by Miltonedgebert (original poster) »

I've got a basic plan for the next batch.
The roast will be done in three phases, all in the Dutch oven to prevent the temp drop from transfer:
Start on stovetop with preheated Dutch oven and get the beans to dry end asap
Cover and put in oven for 5min at 355
Move back to stovetop and drive bens to first crack asap.

Observations on the beans as they are now:
Batch 1 is actually pretty decent and lost the leather note
Batch 2 is the best now, and showed the brown sugar note one morning.
Batch 3 is just bad. Not quite undrinkable, but close.
Batch 4 is noticeably more developed than the others. Nice but simple and a little flat.

Capuchin Monk

#22: Post by Capuchin Monk »

Milligan wrote:Greens go bad
Not as quickly as other consumable crops, no? I've been hearing for decades that unroasted coffee beans have shelf life measured in years.

Advertisement
baldheadracing
Team HB

#23: Post by baldheadracing replying to Capuchin Monk »

Just like most seeds, greens don't go bad for years ... but the taste deteriorates.

There are a gazillion factors at play, but as a sweeping generalization, a year or two past harvest is about it as far as taste is concerned.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

GDM528

#24: Post by GDM528 »

Miltonedgebert wrote:Start on stovetop with preheated Dutch oven and get the beans to dry end asap

Observations on the beans as they are now:
Batch 1 is actually pretty decent and lost the leather note
Batch 2 is the best now, and showed the brown sugar note one morning.
Batch 3 is just bad. Not quite undrinkable, but close.
Batch 4 is noticeably more developed than the others. Nice but simple and a little flat.
I can picture a YouTube video of your technique someday. Need to start thinking about what to call it...

An alternative to the stovetop start might be to preheat the Dutch oven - in the oven - to a slightly higher temp to compensate for the cooling effect of dropping in room-temperature greens.

Did batch #2 lose some of its acidity? This seems to imply 'low and slow' is better, and I've been thinking of something similar with my roasts.
Interesting how batch #3 went from "favorite" to "not quite undrinkable". Can you elaborate on the taste - were they brewed in the same way?

#25: Post by Miltonedgebert (original poster) »

I tried the new process this morning. I don't think it went well. It was an unpleasant workflow, and didn't seem to help me get heat into the beans any faster.
It took 6 min to get to dry end, and then still took 3 min to get to first crack after the oven.
I'll see how the coffee tastes, but it was much more of a hassle than just using the popper. It does smell good.
I also found the smallest coffee bean I've ever seen.

GDM:
I brewed batch 2 this morning. It may have lost a little acidity, but not anything drastic. I don't have any specific notes (analysis is not my thing at 6am) but it made me smile.
Batch 3 was never my favorite, it just seemed to have the best balance during cupping, and none of the batches were great during the cupping. 3 is the only one that got worse since then.

GDM528

#26: Post by GDM528 »

Miltonedgebert wrote:It took 6 min to get to dry end, and then still took 3 min to get to first crack after the oven.
I'll see how the coffee tastes, but it was much more of a hassle than just using the popper.
It does seem worrisome that it takes 3 min to get to first crack, 'cause I presume they're seeing some pretty high heat during that time, which could be baking out all that sugary goodness you're trying to create. The beans are absorbing heat right up to first crack, so moving from oven to stovetop might be introducing a significant downward spike in heat flow just as they're getting close. Re: just using the popper, couldn't the low/high thing be duplicated in the popper?

#27: Post by Miltonedgebert (original poster) »

Yes, but I don't have a good way to put numbers on it. I'm experimenting with the oven because it gives me two things:
Time away from turning a crank to take notes, and easily set and tweaked temperature.
I've considered adding a thermometer to the popper, but then I either need to hook it up to a laptop to log or motorize it. Both end up clunky and add to setup time.
I'm really tempted by a quest m3 that's in buy/sell, but I haven't quite managed to justify it to myself.