Espresso machine for 1-2 shots/day, light roast, budget ~$2000

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
BrookM

#1: Post by BrookM »

After selling my Londinium R and Arc Roaster in December and taking a 6 month midlife coffee/caffeine break, I'm returning to the world of espresso.

[In case you're wondering why, I have been drinking coffee my entire adult life and wanted to see what life was like without it. Results? Cleaner and more stable energy and sleep, but a little more boring and no morning brain boost of optimism!]

Anyway, in the market for another machine and have a few questions for you. I still have a Compak K10 grinder so feel equipped in that department.

My needs are:
1-2 shots in the morning.
Light roasts chasing shots that are naturally sweet and fruity.
I drink straight no milk so I'm interested in a machine that is focused on the best shot possible BUT I want to be able to make occasional latte for my wife or guests so I still want a steam wand.
Not too big for my counter space, hoping smaller than Londinium, which I thoroughly enjoyed.

Been looking at double boilers and wondering if that's really unnecessary for my very minimal milk needs.
If my budget was more, I'd be debating between a Decent or LMLM, love the simplicity of LMLM but also feel that the decent could produce amazing results with all of the controlled variables.

Finally, wondering opinions on going new vs going used with a more powerful small commercial machine that seem to come up a lot.

Thanks for your helping me narrow this down!

Pressino
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by Pressino »

My recommendation is to get either another lever machine, or if you want a non-lever get at least a dual boiler. In that price range you have the Breville dual boiler, which lots of folks here like. My preference would be for the Profitec Pro 300. Your preference for light roasts suggests having some flow control, which you could get with an e61 machine and a FCD..., but dual boiler e61 machines will put you just a bit over the $2K mark. If you're willing to go into the $2K to $3K range, a lot of other choices open up.

The nice thing about a good lever is that it does allow you to change your flow rate a bit during the pour via control of the lever.

Pressino
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by Pressino »

addendum: You might also check out the earlier thread re the best dual boiler PID machines for under $1500 to get some other recommendations. :)

Jeff
Team HB

#4: Post by Jeff »

With a pump machine, especially in this price range, you're at the mercy of the manufacturer and their marketing on if you can control fill and soak. At least as I read the marketing material and manuals, the Lelit Elizabeth is one of the few in this price range that has control over fill and soak as stock, with the BDB being able to be easily modified. As far as I know, the Profitec 300 does not and the Silvia Pro X has soft infusion, or some such marketing, but not the kind of adjustable fill/soak that many light-roast espresso aficionados find valuable.

A Lelit MaraX with a flow kit may be another option. I'm hesitant as a vibe pump may not be a good choice for long extractions, compared to a rotary pump.

The Argos Odyssey may be a good option, but it has not yet released. It is still a gamble.

BrookM (original poster)

#5: Post by BrookM (original poster) »

These are all very useful considerations considering the requirements for a good light roast shot. Thank you!

luvmy40

#6: Post by luvmy40 »

Searching for the light roast fruit bomb god shot?

Flow/pressure control is going to be mandatory. For <$2K, the BDB is definitely the best bang for the buck. I don't know if you can be into a Lelit dual boiler with flow control in that price range or not. I do know the BDB's temp stability/control is unparalleled at nearly any price point and it's a free mod to get excellent flow control.

Your choice in grinder and burr set is going be even more important. I am not the guy to advise on burrs, but the DF64 is a solid grinder at an excellent price that will give you the ability to utilize most flat burr styles.

BrookM (original poster)

#7: Post by BrookM (original poster) »

The Argos Odyssey has really caught my eye from a recommendation here. Very tempting to gamble on that.

cmin

#8: Post by cmin »

luvmy40 wrote:Searching for the light roast fruit bomb god shot?

Flow/pressure control is going to be mandatory. For <$2K, the BDB is definitely the best bang for the buck. I don't know if you can be into a Lelit dual boiler with flow control in that price range or not. I do know the BDB's temp stability/control is unparalleled at nearly any price point and it's a free mod to get excellent flow control.

Your choice in grinder and burr set is going be even more important. I am not the guy to advise on burrs, but the DF64 is a solid grinder at an excellent price that will give you the ability to utilize most flat burr styles.
This, the BDB is untouchable at this price point, I've got one modded and it's toe to toe with GS3 I had modded as well, ok maybe slight .01% advantage to GS3 lol (your also talking $7k+ now, vs $1k plus about $100 in parts to fix/upgrade for my used BDB). Had E61, Lucca M58 was great, but no way would I even consider an E61 w/ flow control again over BDB with its advanced PI system and Slayer mod (plus brass mods I did) let alone a Decent at its price point as well. Even w/o slayer mod, the PI system you can adjust all the way down to 55% pressure and use manually for as long as you want, why light roast are so excellent on BDBs. I bought mine used (920 w/ over 5k shots) so I had some issues and wasn't use to working on a Breville, but their stupid easy once you get into it and simple fixes and not really any different than most machines. I do like then brass opv and pump hell of a lot more than stock, it's smoother than stock pump/opv.

Otherwise, I'd just go Londinium again. You owned one, you know how good they are dark or light roast. Why not an R24 which is killer over the old R? Can even adjust the pressure profile on it and don't have to plumb either.

The Argos looks cool but who knows when it'll actually be on the market, didn't it get pushed back again to end of this year and now 2023? And who knows what quirks may show up initially being brand new.

I would up budget and just go Londinium R24. I'm going to add one when I move as I can't fit lever in kitchen temporarily.

BrookM (original poster)

#9: Post by BrookM (original poster) »

Wow, so much BDB support and bold claims regarding on par with G3! I'll have to look more seriously into them. I see them used quite a lot so could be the way to go.

Argos is definitely a risk but love the look, price tag and hands on nature.

Londiniums are great but honestly just looking for something new.

Thanks for the input! Such a helpful generous group here. Appreciate it. Love thinking about this stuff.

Vindibona1

#10: Post by Vindibona1 »

I agree with a lot of the previous replies. A double boiler is probably the way to go. And within your price range, as noted previously, the Profitec Pro 300 or the Lelit Elizabeth are the two that check most of the boxes and keep you in budget and size. There is also the Rancilio Silvia ProX which is feature laden as well in the same price range as the 300 and Elizabeth. An E61 double boiler will kick the price up $400-$600 or more. While not a DB but a HX, the Lelit Mara X gets good reviews and is in the same price range.