Bentwood Vertical 63 vs. other - Page 3

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Quester

#21: Post by Quester »

Coffeechap wrote:There is not a lot of love for the honne, but I really rate it in terms of workflow, easy of use, flavour profile and build. Like I said for the money it cannot be beat
Have you used light beans? And if so, has it ever jammed? As a former Versalab owner, I'm curious.

peterzentai

#22: Post by peterzentai »

How would you rate the build quality of the Honne? I know it is super massive and heavy, but did you notice any issues with finishing of components, scratches out of the box, misalignments, etc?

Primacog

#23: Post by Primacog »

How does the bentwood stack up against a df64 with ssp lab sweet cast steel burrs installed? The latter is known for its sweetness and clarity too and it seems that they are also quite comparable from the size of the burrs. Lance hedrick has opined that the ssp cast and the bentwood are almost the same when compared to each other - see about 9:50 onwards at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtQmxy8NOAI
LMWDP #729

GorchT

#24: Post by GorchT »

Second hand info here I asked myself which one to get Bentwood something with SSP98mm burrs (Nautilus, Kafatek etc), Weber 80mm or lab sweet. I had talked with a guy who owned most of these or tested them. He told me for very light roasts the 98mm burrs are the best the others are better for medium light to medium dark. So as always it mostly depends on what you prefer tastewise. For northern light roasts he didn't prefer it and I am very happy with his tips and getting a Nautilus. But the 98mm burrs are very bad with anything which only slightly tastes like it's roasted. Then I would get definitely one of the other options.

Jeff
Team HB

#25: Post by Jeff »

With dozens of coffees through my Bentwood, 98 HU, 64 MP, 64 Cv2, and Option-O Mini Moonshine, that sounds about right. The 98 HU and 64 MP are unforgiving of defects, the cost of clarity. I won't say that the Bentwood can't pull a bad shot or make a bad brew, but it is more forgiving of errors in the bag or on the counter. It still has good clarity, rendering the subtleties and layering of Manhattan Letty Bermudez nearly as well as the 98 HUs. The Mini is, for me, close to the Bentwood. The CV2s are too blended for my tastes. I can see why people enjoy them, especially if they aren't using top-tier coffees.

Primacog

#26: Post by Primacog replying to Jeff »

Thanks Jeff. Is CV2 ssp 64mm cast steel v2?

How would you compare the bentwood to monolith titan flat shuriken 75mm or the monolith flat Max shuriken LM 98MM Burrs?
LMWDP #729

Jeff
Team HB

#27: Post by Jeff »

SSP "64 mm <Cast version, Silver>" -- The "version 2", not the refurbs that were available for a brief while

I've used a couple Monoliths but not enough to be able to comment meaningfully on the in-cup qualities. I much prefer the workflow of other grinders I have owned or used extensively, including the Bentwood.

madgalaxy
Supporter ♡

#28: Post by madgalaxy »

How is the grinding noise on the Bentwood? Similar to the Niche? My family is sensitive to me grinding in the morning. The Niche does not seem to bother them but the Smart Grinder Pro I had did!