Commercial Espresso Machine Choice - Questions - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
cupandcrema (original poster)

#11: Post by cupandcrema (original poster) »

Great points everyone, and as always, a huge help.

I've been seeing a lot of Kees as you mentioned. My only concern there is simply that I don't know too much about them or where they fall in the sense of longevity and features. Beautiful equipment nonetheless though. The Black Eagle has crossed my mind as well. I've heard great things. I think I've enjoyed a few pulls from one in the past. My issue is shortening my espresso options rather than increasing them lol. I guess, I say that to say, most local techs are Rocket, Rancilio, and especially La Marzocco it seems so I'm in the same boat is I go away from those brands (risking it somewhat).

The Decent is an interesting take. I'm not sure it would be as suitable for workflow vs a standard commercial dual boiler machine.

As for lever, I'd like to mitigate irregularity. While I personally love a good lever (sitting on my bar at home), the variability is beautiful at home, but a bear on the bench at work. Repeatability per barista and consistency is something I'm chasing.

#12: Post by cupandcrema (original poster) »

@Jeff What were good places to keep an eye out locally for machines and equipment?

Jeff
Team HB

#13: Post by Jeff »

I haven't been looking for commercial gear, but it occasionally shows up on Craigslist.

Primacog

#14: Post by Primacog »

cupandcrema wrote:Great points everyone, and as always, a huge help.

I've been seeing a lot of Kees as you mentioned. My only concern there is simply that I don't know too much about them or where they fall in the sense of longevity and features. Beautiful equipment nonetheless though. The Black Eagle has crossed my mind as well. I've heard great things. I think I've enjoyed a few pulls from one in the past. My issue is shortening my espresso options rather than increasing them lol. I guess, I say that to say, most local techs are Rocket, Rancilio, and especially La Marzocco it seems so I'm in the same boat is I go away from those brands (risking it somewhat).

The Decent is an interesting take. I'm not sure it would be as suitable for workflow vs a standard commercial dual boiler machine.

As for lever, I'd like to mitigate irregularity. While I personally love a good lever (sitting on my bar at home), the variability is beautiful at home, but a bear on the bench at work. Repeatability per barista and consistency is something I'm chasing.
The training and retention of skilled staff who can use a lever machine to commercial rates of performance would be the challenging part, I reckon. Otherwise once one has (and keeps) such staff, a multigroup commercial lever machine has no impediment in performance and consistency of taste compared to a volumetric multigroup commercial pump machine, and for optics, the mystique and allure of the lever itself and the public performance aspect which will draw customers to your cafe are also advantages favouring the lever machine. It is said that in Naples, baristas using au mti group ltraditional lever machine can serve 2000 shots in a single shift!

After all most cafes use pump machines so the fact you even have a lever will be a distinguishing factor and for lower budgets, traditional commercial levers like the Izzo pompei and the various Astoria machines will give just as good rate of performance and as tasty a cup as much more fancy KvdW Idrocompresso machines or the LM LEVA X.
LMWDP #729

#15: Post by cupandcrema (original poster) »

I definitely agree that would be pretty sweet to see both as a shop and as a consumer!

ShotClock
Supporter ♡

#16: Post by ShotClock »

I have a decent at home, and like it a lot. There are a few cafes around the world using them. I believe that John is based in the east Bay area, so you may be able to get a demo etc.

Interesting that you say the lever could be inconsistent - how so? My understanding is that a commercial spring lever is extremely consistent, and this is one of the main advantages, along with mechanical simplicity. I have never used one, so i may just be ignorant of reality...