Eureka Mignon XL alternatives?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Tony163

#1: Post by Tony163 »

I'm looking for a grinder that has at least 65mm burrs that is around the same size as the Eureka XL. I can purchase the latter and likely be happy, but I wanted to see if I am overlooking any competitive or superior alternatives. Price not a big consideration. Thx for any thoughts.

Jeff
Team HB

#2: Post by Jeff »

Lots of alternatives at many different prices and availability.

What are you looking for, both out of the grinder and into the cup?

Tony163 (original poster)

#3: Post by Tony163 (original poster) »

Foremost is grind quality, fluffy, consistent no-clump grinds. Capable of fine espresso grinding, which is all this will be used for. As mentioned size is critical, smaller the better. The XL is as large as I can go. Prefer a timer but open to single dose grinder. Obviously, we'll made, reliable. What else? Thanks

monkeyboy

#4: Post by monkeyboy »

I am interested in responses as well...I just went thru an analysis and ordered a Mignon Oro XL last night.

I am in your same situation - espresso only and I like the small footprint as it will be 'on display' under a cabinet.

Eureka Atom was a contender but too big/tall for me

Started with Ceado and ECM grinders - I was OK with manual/no auto-timed dosing but was eventually led to Eureka. I think I will like the timed dosing.
Was attracted to the company longevity and generally great reviews of their build quality.

Biggest diversion for me was Single dose machine or Hopper.

Single dose seemed attractive to me at first, but as I thought about it - I think I'd prefer the tradition dosing method.

Many will be very 'passionate' about this subject (if you know what I mean) - so good luck.

bonjing

#5: Post by bonjing »

I have the XL and I do like the looks of it and it is pretty quiet. As far as timer function, eh it's something for me to look at. I did the Eureka single dose and bellows upgrade. The metal stopper on the single dose hopper is much better than the original, by looks and functionality. It is much smoother and doesn't jam as much as the plastic original one. I added the Etsy tilt kit, does it do anything, dunno, but I like it.

Fluffy grounds are subjective but I personally think they are fluffy enough, I do still use a WDT tool. I use one with the Niche and I'd bet I would still use one if I had a different grinder.

Retention isn't bad .1/.2 difference in and out, I've stopped weighing the out.

Semi easy maintenance, other than being careful about the wires connecting the screen, it's easy-peasy. Not as easy as the Niche, but easy. I do use a torque screwdriver for repeatability with burrs. Just a cheap Wheeler, they go on sale every so often. Proper fitting heads is a must for me.

Now what seems like a downside for me, the burrs. There doesn't seem to be any upgrades/options for this grinder. Lance Hedrick said the Ali express Gevi burrs and Gorilla Gear burrs fit. That's according to his mignon single dose video. I would like to try the multitude of burrs out there, just because, but no dice. Someone, please, please, please correct me if I am wrong :) that's just a simple curiosity of mine, not that I am a super taster that can tell the difference. The factory burrs do make good espresso, don't get me wrong.

Overall I'm happy with it looks, grind quality and espresso taste. The tinkerer in me isn't :lol:

I don't think any of this makes sense I haven't had coffee yet :P

Jeff
Team HB

#6: Post by Jeff »

I'm guessing you've decided you "need" a flat-burr grinder for some reason. You've pretty much eliminated any of the burrs that are driving flat-burr mania by stating over 65 mm and needing to keep your size under 15" with a small footprint (ruling out most of the 98 mm grinders, the P100 is 15.5" tall). Once you're out of 64 mm and 98 mm (with the proper rotation and hole pattern), to a great extent, you're often stuck with whatever classic burr they happen to ship, or perhaps a longer-lasting one from another burr manufacturer. (Gevi burrs are 60 mm, so they're not an option.) Most of those burrs are going to be similar or inferior in the cup to the better conical burrs, especially for classic espresso. Nothing has really changed with how those burrs present in the cup, if anything at all, since Titan Grinder Project 15 years ago.

±0.2 g in-to-out is only a lower limit on actual retention. One is often extruding coffee through internal passages with classic grinders, even if they've put a stylish tilt and bellows on it. With a classic design, no matter the marketing around it, you're probably in the 1-10 g range for actual retention. If you are pulling the same coffee throughout the day and are willing to grind out a half-basket if it has been an hour or two since the last shot (or don't mind the semi-stale grinds), these classic, hopper-fed designs are very convenient.

If you do change coffees or grind often, or prefer fresh grinds, a purpose-built, single-dosing grinder is, in my opinion, a better way to go. You've ruled them all out between needing 65 mm or larger (I'm assuming you mean that to be a flat burr) and needing to be under 15" tall.

Giampiero

#7: Post by Giampiero »

I never understood why, but the so called 65mm Eureka burr are in reality 64mm, so you can explore a huge selection of grinders with flat 64mm burr.

Jeff
Team HB

#8: Post by Jeff »

Then perhaps a "65 mm" Eureka has advantages over its smaller and larger siblings.

Eureka E65 with Super Jolly burrs

Although there is at least one report that the SJ burrs are a tiny bit too big for a Eureka carrier (E65 in the post).

(Personally, I'd take a Lagom P64 over the Eureka, but I understand the attraction of lower cost and near-immediate availability.)

bonjing

#9: Post by bonjing »

Jeff wrote:(Gevi burrs are 60 mm, so they're not an option.) Most of those burrs are going to be similar or inferior in the cup.
Sorry "gevi style" burrs.

And also agree with Jeff about the p64

Tony163 (original poster)

#10: Post by Tony163 (original poster) »

The lagoom is art