Looking for input on selecting a home roaster - Page 6

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Cheerfulnut (original poster)

#51: Post by Cheerfulnut (original poster) »

Capuchin Monk wrote:I'm not sure what kind of cabinet this is but the outdoor condition may be too harsh on the steel / copper / electronic equipment.
Well, it's actually a "storage" space built into the side of my home (no garden), but it measures about 4ft by 3ft or so, small enough that I call it a cabinet. I love many things about Japan, but the limited living space in the city areas (unless you have boatloads of money) isn't one of them...

Capuchin Monk

#52: Post by Capuchin Monk »

Unless it's airtight enclosure or the weather in Tokyo is like Arizona, you may want to store your other belongings in there to make room in your house for the roaster because the roasters you are looking into need to be treated like home electronics (computer, TV, radio, ... etc.).

#53: Post by Cheerfulnut (original poster) replying to Capuchin Monk »

Gotcha. I'll find a way to make space once I decide what I'm getting. This weekend is going to be more research between the different Kaldi options.. still a little unclear on the different Fortis options..

Capuchin Monk

#54: Post by Capuchin Monk »

Cheerfulnut wrote:still a little unclear on the different Fortis options..
Their website shows different attachment options, from base model (roaster with data logger only) to full on complete model (burner, chaff collector, bean cooler, bells & whistles). As for the solid drum vs perforated drum options, there are many discussions on that on this forum. Here is one, How to Compare Solid Versus Perforated Drum Roasters?

#55: Post by Cheerfulnut (original poster) replying to Capuchin Monk »

THANK YOU! I was searching "semi convection" vs "direct fired" instead of solid drum and perforated drum but wasn't finding much directly related to the Fortis. Appreciate this very much sir. Now to watch more videos and research over the weekend to decide what I want (and whether I have space for the chaff collector/cooler :)