Cafelat Robot Piston Seal Life - Page 7

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Ken5

#61: Post by Ken5 »

jpender

#62: Post by jpender »

Thanks, I know they are available. But as I said there doesn't seem to be a need in my case since the liquid is clean. I can't help but wonder why it is that way for me and like this for Nate:

Could it be due to how the excess water is purged post-shot? After you lift the arms the puck will often be disturbed and that might make the water above the screen dirty. Then some debris could be pushed into the bottom of the tube during the purge and then pushed further up during the next shot. I always dump the excess water out of the basket. Could that be the difference? I don't know, just a thought.

Advertisement
jpender

#63: Post by jpender »

On my second shot this morning I intentionally underfilled the basket with water. It was at least 1.5cm below the rim. I was expecting to see no water or at least a lower water level in the tube. Instead the tube filled with water. It went all the way to the gauge. Something is leaking for that to happen. Probably it's my 8 month old piston seal. I frequently hear it hiss at the start of shots.

Ken5

#64: Post by Ken5 »

jpender wrote:Thanks, I know they are available. But as I said there doesn't seem to be a need in my case since the liquid is clean. I can't help but wonder why it is that way for me and like this for Nate:
Maybe it doesn't happen on every shot? I gently press the levers after the shot as I personally prefer to dump dry grounds right in the garbage. Once the hiss starts I gently lift the levers. Most of the time the screen is extremely clean, other times there are a good amount of grounds on top of the screen. I am guessing this happens during the shot as the emptying push is extremely gentle, though obviously don't know for sure. Can't really figure out the reason for the grounds being on the top as sometimes it happens on the very next shot using the same beans, grind setting and pressure. I would think that the times that the screen is dirty would be the only time the ground would make it into the tubing. Wonder if Nate sees these grounds often where you never do? I think I recall you saying that you personally do not do this final press of the levers, if so are there times where the water you dump are clean, and other times where it is slightly coffee like?

jpender

#65: Post by jpender »

After the shot I remove the PF and dump the water and then let the basket sit in the sink. It drains pretty dry on it's own that way. If I'm in a hurry I give the screen a press to squeeze out liquid. I prefer this workflow because then I don't need a second cup.

The water above the screen is never dirty at the start of the shot. After I pull off the PF sometimes it's clean and other times the screen is pulled up to one side and the water is dirty. I can't see inside the basket but my thought is that when you stop the shot it can mess up the puck/screen.

While I couldn't see the tube when I had the pressure kit installed originally with the metal sheath, the tube was clean when I removed it in April 2020. That was after something like 700 shots.