La Peppina kettle removal - Page 2

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
yakster
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by yakster »

I have the higher power and steam lid but don't use it, it was designed by an importer as a US add-on.

Don't overtighten the rod, just enough to prevent leaks.

Maybe you could add a small spacer to the handle to keep the threads out of the brew path, it'd be easier than cutting the threads.

Don't forget to lube your linkages and lever pins.

I use the group head screw hole to prime the La Peppina seals getting them wet using a wash bottle when I haven't used it in a while.

I fill at least half the kettle for thermal stability.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

barqy (original poster)

#12: Post by barqy (original poster) replying to yakster »

Very odd they designed it so that the PF screw interferes with the brew path.

Lastly, the bottom rim of the kettle has a bit of rust or oxidation, can that just be left as is?

Thanks for your help, I pulled a few shots with it but they turned out quite watery and lacking crema. Will have to adjust!

Advertisement
Nate42

#13: Post by Nate42 »

Try overdosing you would be surprised how much coffee you can cram in there if you want it. Also, you can lift up to assist spring during shot. Personally my favorite Peppina shots have been overdosed ristrettos.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#14: Post by yakster »

Rim oxidation is common, not sure there's a good solution. I tried a coating of DOW 111 on the off chance it might help.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

yakster
Supporter ♡

#15: Post by yakster »

I find with levers that you can grind too fine to get crema, it's worth checking a coarser grind with a better flow rate. The spring will not give you a thick shot if unassisted but it should taste good with nice flavor separation and some crema. Assisting the lever will get you thicker shots with less purity and separation. It takes some practice to get shots not to taste like brewed coffee but it'll come with practice.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

yakster
Supporter ♡

#16: Post by yakster »

Here's a really old video from when I had a so-so hand grinder and a PID hooked up.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Blernsball

#17: Post by Blernsball »

When I first got my peppina I read a ton about pulling shots on them. I eventually settled on this as my go to routine:
  • kettle on to boil (you can take off the useless steam wand, the hole it leaves is perfect for a thermometer)
  • blank shot to warm the cup
  • kettle off
  • 14g in the basket, depending on roast (usually medium). A OE funnel helps.
  • wdt
  • regular tamp
  • puck screen or paper filter on top (i'm not sure it makes any difference in the taste, but it makes things a lot cleaner)
  • gently pull down lever, holding the back of the base with other hand to prevent it tipping
  • release the lever, keeping your hand gently on it. (you want some control, but you also want the spring to push the piston up with enough force to snap the boiler to piston valve shut and force water out the group. If you baby it too much, some of the water in the piston will flow back into the boiler and your shot will be small.)
  • mid way up the lever will "catch" as the puck provides resistance.
  • I'll let the shot go until the first few drops appear in the cup
  • then a second pull down and release.
  • pull the cup when it starts to blonde, or at around 28g out.
A few other things that it took me a bit to get, maybe they will help:
  • This is a 1970's espresso machine. It was designed to make old school espresso. Lean into that. Do not expect big modern double shot volumes.
  • Resist that urge to pump the lever, you'll draw coffee grounds back into the piston and boiler.
  • What might seem like limitations of the machine (small diameter basket, essentially fixed small shot volume, open boiler) are what makes it a great shot puller. The small basket reduces channeling, the set shot volume is one less variable to worry about, and the open boiler means it can not overheat and is easily refilled on the fly.
Oh, and everyone has different things that work well for them, that is just what works best for me.

If you are looking for a bottomless portafilter for your peppina, you can get them made by @ipoktala on instagram. Not affiliated, but I bought a portafilter, tamper and handle from them for a very reasonable price. All are very nicely made.

I found it made a big difference in getting the machine to consistently pull great shots.

If you do pick up a portafilter from them, my only suggestion would be to specify the diameter you need. The default size is the same as the stock peppina portafilter, so if you don't care for a loose basket, you'll need to measure and let them know.

Advertisement
yakster
Supporter ♡

#18: Post by yakster »

Blernsball wrote:When I first got my peppina I read a ton about pulling shots on them. I eventually settled on this as my go to routine:
Solid write-up.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

barqy (original poster)

#19: Post by barqy (original poster) »

thanks for all the tips

this machine pulls quite differently from other spring levers i've tried (mcal, pavonis), interesting indeed!