Dragonfly's Crema Dolce brew recommendations - Page 2

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by JohnB. »

gobucks wrote:That's interesting, I tried a few shots at 202-203 but found them pretty harsh, even with milk. Could be batch differences, or slightly different settings on our machines, or just personal preference.

Have you Scace tested your machine so you know that your 202-203° isn't actually much higher? I only drink straight shots & the only difference between my shots at 200° & 203° is that the 203° shots have a nice cinnamon?? spiciness that makes the 200° shots seem bland. What flavors are you getting in your 200° straight shots?
LMWDP 267

Jebez (original poster)
Supporter

#12: Post by Jebez (original poster) »

gobucks wrote:That's interesting, I tried a few shots at 202-203 but found them pretty harsh, even with milk. Could be batch differences, or slightly different settings on our machines, or just personal preference.
As a follow up, I did move the temp up to 203 and enjoy it much more.
But as you say, there are a lot of variables at play - not the least of which is personal prefernce.

gobucks

#13: Post by gobucks »

JohnB. wrote: Have you Scace tested your machine so you know that your 202-203° isn't actually much higher? I only drink straight shots & the only difference between my shots at 200° & 203° is that the 203° shots have a nice cinnamon?? spiciness that makes the 200° shots seem bland. What flavors are you getting in your 200° straight shots?
I have not used a scace, so you're right, I don't know for sure that my temps are accurate. That being said, it's a saturated group head (Lelit Elizabeth), which is supposed to have pretty good temp stability, and with most medium roast coffees I get good results in the low 200s, so if it's off, it's probably not too dramatically off. Anyway, at 200 I'm getting a lot of nutty flavors, kinda like a peanut butter cup, maybe just a hint of baking spice, but I don't taste obvious cinnamon. At 202-203 it tastes bitter and overextracted. I suppose I could try cutting off the shot a couple seconds earlier, but 30s including 7s of preinfusion already seems a bit on the short side. Anyway, I have 5lb of this stuff, so I certainly have some time to tweak the parameters some more haha.