Monolith MC4: unusual sound/knock - Page 8

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
DaumierS (original poster)

#71: Post by DaumierS (original poster) »

I received an email from Denis with his reply to my comments in this thread. Denis mentions several facts about the 100% reliability of his conicals, and I think they are worth quoting below. I have to tell that I am happy with Denis' reply.
First, you posted that you think that the durability of your grinder is compromised because of the noise. Rest assured, I have been making Monolith Conical for 10 years now, with hundreds of units made and not a single one ever failed. There is no record of one failing. They are rock solid. They will not fail. And if they do fail I will take care of it since its matter of pride for me. But as I said not a single one failed.

The noise is as I said normal because these are industrial motors used, they are not made to be quiet. They are made to work for 10000 hours at full load. They will make various noises that come and go. But if you are really so unhappy with it, and cannot live with the noise, you should have told me so first before posting on the forums and damaging the good name. Please send it back and we will do our best to eliminate it, but just know two things. We might receive it and the noise might not be there. If noise is there and we fix it, you might get it back and noise might come back from vibration in shipping or after some time in usage. There is a possibility since that is a thing with these industrial motors in my experience.

Jshot
Supporter ♡

#72: Post by Jshot »

Awesome reply. Denis is a true Boss!

Much of this issue and resolving comes down to communication. What's "normal", and is that acceptable to the customer.

BaristaBoy E61

#73: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

It would be best if this possible condition were clearly mentioned at least upon receipt of the grinder.

For me personally, I do trust Denis and would purchase any of his grinders without hesitation.

Case Closed !
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

CASmessage

#74: Post by CASmessage »

I think it's important that Denis is willing to take the grinder back for inspection as the noise isn't prefaced anywhere on his site. As stated, resale would be a dominate concern. That being said he has my total respect and confidence as a customer. Anyone with hesitancy to purchase from Kafatek need only to see the litany of positive feedback the brand has.

blondica73
Supporter ❤

#75: Post by blondica73 »

DaumierS wrote:I received an email from Denis with his reply to my comments in this thread. Denis mentions several facts about the 100% reliability of his conicals, and I think they are worth quoting below. I have to tell that I am happy with Denis' reply.
It is great that Denis offered to inspect the grinder; he would be "in the know", and would love to hear back once the knocking sound issue was addressed. I understand that some people don't care about the knocking sound, but some do. The monolith grinders are great, no doubt and kudos to Denis for his customer service.

Pressino
Supporter ♡

#76: Post by Pressino »

I agree, and I still wonder why he would insist that: The noise is as I said normal because these are industrial motors used, they are not made to be quiet.

I'm familiar with and have used "industrial" quality electric motors and they generally are no more noisy than cheaply made ones...in fact usually they run more smoothly and can be quieter. Clearly the regularly recurrent knocking is abnormal. To me it sounds like an off-axis shaft bearing knock, but it could be something else.

I'm confident the company (Denis) will fix it per his correspondence to the OP. But come on, if the OP actually sent a video with audio of the knock I don't see how anyone hearing that could say "it's normal." :shock:
★ Helpful

HB
Admin

#77: Post by HB »

It looks like the OP is on his way to a satisfactory resolution and this thread is now clearly in "Public complaints about customer service" territory described in the Guidelines for productive online discussion, namely step 5. Rather than continue to cycle through the steps, I'm closing this thread. If the OP has new information to add, let me know.
Dan Kehn