Why grind so fine for Turkish? - Page 3

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
vit

#21: Post by vit »

jpender wrote:Thanks for the info about the Sözen grinder. So inexpensive: I can buy one for $35 including shipping. My Kinu and my awkward old OE LIDO 1 are far from ideal for producing a fine Turkish grind. I know Turgay Yildizli likes the Comandante but it's about 10X as expensive. So maybe I'll pick up a dedicated Turkish grinder.

But first I am going to experiment more with espresso or slightly-finer-than-espresso grinds in my cezve. If that consistently produces good results then there would be no reason for a dedicated dust-maker.
Yes, Sözen is quite cheap, but there are some drawbacks. While it is considerably faster than Kinu (for turkish), force on the handle is also significantly higher and it's not nearly as nice to hold like the handle on Kinu. Also, whole grinder has strong brass smell; although I wouldn't say that it transfers to the coffee, it might be a problem for some ...

baldheadracing
Team HB

#22: Post by baldheadracing replying to vit »

The strong brass smell can be an indication of a counterfeit; fakes used to be everywhere on eBay and Amazon when I got mine.

Sozen sells direct-to-consumer at https://www.sozengrinders.com/ (used to be Turkishmill.com) The grinder uses a square drive, so it is easy to use with a variable speed cordless drill. Also, although adjustment of grind size is technically possible, I wouldn't bother touching the factory -set adjustment. The burr design and centering mechanism works for very fine grinds ... I couldn't recommend it for anything coarser.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Advertisement
vit

#23: Post by vit replying to baldheadracing »

I also bought it at turkishmill.com, I don't know is it original or not, it looks like a turkish grinder and smells like it ...

There is an adjustment screw at the bottom, mine was set to about 1 turn and it's ok for turkish grind. I also did a "mod" to enable grinding coarser, as was suggested by one of our members from Turkey (hitting the top of the axle with a hammer a few times to deform the plate with that screw below the burr). I tried making a few espressos when using cheap DeLonghy espresso machine, with mediocre results of course ... it's at about 2 turns, however this is not espresso grinder, produces too much fines ... at 3 turns it's somewhere in the range of french press ... it's not a precise machine like Kinu, but works well for what is designed for and is definitively better than various Hario grinders for lower price

Tampajose

#24: Post by Tampajose »

Turgays tutorials are excellent, I use his method to brew Turkish coffee. I use medium roast beans roasted in a stovetop popper. good results better than buying imported Turkish style coffee that's been on the shelf for a long time.
USS DETROIT AOE4

Shakespeare
Supporter ♡

#25: Post by Shakespeare »

My first coffee was Turkish style brewed. My family not only made it in a traditionally but added fresh Cardamom spice.
I would recommend this to all who haven't tried this particular style of Turkish.

The Question: Why grind so fine for Turkish. There are a few traditional answers to this question.
I will offer one that is near to my heart and why I sill drink Turkish.

My old uncle offered me when young.... a small coffee with extra sweetness ...The coffee was great especially due to the added sugar as I was very young.
When I finished the liquid coffee, he said aren't you going to eat the Candy at the bottom of the cup.
It was the extra fine aromatic coffee/Cardamon sweetness at the bottom. As I once enjoyed and still do...eat the xtra-fine coffee at the bottom of the cup. It's my Candy.
That is why for me. Make Turkish coffee Extra-Fine.