Urania neon tube specs - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
ira
Team HB

#11: Post by ira »

I'm absolutely positive, ever connect a neon bulb across a line with no ballast resistor? From the first paragraph of this:

https://iaeimagazine.org/electrical-fun ... D%20tubing).
The current passing through a neon tube needs to be limited by some means, otherwise once the tube lights, the current will rise to an excessively high value.
I have one of this companies transformers in my neon sign along with the optional brightness control as it was way to bright for my living room. I just called them and a couple of button presses got me a person who given the dimensions of your bulb would be glad to recommend a transformer.

http://t2-neonpower.com/CONTACT/contact.html

They are tiny and will be very easy to hide and while they might cost a few dollars more than the Chinese ones, they both know about neon signs and what it takes to drive them and they answer the phone when you call. Probably worth a lot when dealing with a possibly irreplaceable tube.

Marcelnl

#12: Post by Marcelnl »

Thanks for clarifying that part!

I do not have a tube, and am waiting for a proposal from a neon sign maker to have one made (plus transformer).
LMWDP #483

ira
Team HB

#13: Post by ira »

I would make sure to have him show you the brightness before you take it away, if it's going in a quiet room in a house, you might want a fair amount less brightness than the original lamp supplied, getting a lower current transformer will lower the brightness. You should also ask what it would cost to make an extra tube or 10 as you might find the incremental cost reasonable.

IamOiman
Team HB

#14: Post by IamOiman »

My light on my Urania is pretty busted after some probing, I've been looking around locally for a neon or flourescent light source but nothing so far. At this point I may just need to go online to sources like the ones suggested above!
-Ryan
Using a spice grinder violates the Geneva Convention
LMWDP #612

Marcelnl

#15: Post by Marcelnl »

I will for sure visit the shop and then ask how much making a couple of kits will cost, and spare tubes but I first need to get a response. I think I saw a picture of Paul showing a box of tubes, there may not even need to be a reason to go this way....
LMWDP #483

mingiunate (original poster)

#16: Post by mingiunate (original poster) »

I got a dimmable neon power supply that maxed out at 30ma. It had 5kv peak - which was more than enough by the calculations for the lamp to draw from to ignite. After carefully wiring it up, it looks like there was still some life left in the old tube!

Not too bad for 65yo, and still kicking even after its long trek!
At full power (30ma), it might be a bit on the dim side, so it looks like maybe 50ma might be better if you really want brightness (I'm curious if anyone knows what specs the original FAEMA ballasts were), but I wanted to err on the side of caution and preserving the tube, so the lower the current the better.

★ Helpful

Marcelnl

#17: Post by Marcelnl »

NICE!

I never received a response from the shop I contacted through their website...will try phone them as this looks like a great addition for our new kitchen.
LMWDP #483