Setting Artisan parameters for my Loring S7 - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
MaKoMo

#11: Post by MaKoMo »

You can untick the "Burner" slider as Artisan cannot control that machine, at least until @Loring tells us how to do that (if possible at all). Gas is obviously logged in % thus you could replace that "kPa" by "%". Anyhow, those events are generated by Artisans quantifier mechanism from the machines reported gas settings. Therefore they are prefixed with a Q. Untick the "Descr." flag under Config >> Events to get rid of this prefix.

Btw. you are using a very outdated Artisan version. Why? Current version is v2.6.0. Just install it. Your settings will be preserved.

Your curves look totally fine to me.

Almico

#12: Post by Almico »

MaKoMo wrote:What does a little quick turn around imply and why needs the initial RoR spike to be tamed?
Ask the OP. That was their main question. I was just suggesting possibly how to accomplish it.

Lorings are a different bird. I have only seen one roasting once during a Rob Hoos presentation. I was too far away to see the screen and only noted that RoR was not displayed.

Curious, what is the drum RPM on an S7? Is it adjustable?

calmwatersroaster (original poster)

#13: Post by calmwatersroaster (original poster) »

Thanks MaKoMo, I didn't know there was a newer version, I'll be sure to install. And Almico, there is no variable drum speed. It's also not technically a drum roaster. There is a drum chamber with rotating paddles. If anyone has a better way to describe the chamber, please offer up.

calmwatersroaster (original poster)

#14: Post by calmwatersroaster (original poster) »

Thanks for your input archipelago!
archipelago wrote:It *will* look different than your other roaster - very rarely will two roasters look the same but the shape of curves will be slightly different on the Loring simply because of probe placement/size and the lack of thermal mass in the rossting chamber/face plate compared with a drum roaster.

You'll find crack occurs very consistently and at a higher temp than drum roasters (and much nearer to the theoretical start of crack that you see in the literature), that the crash at crack is much bigger, that ROR will peak much higher early in the roast, and that you need to stage heat differently versus a drum roaster.

In general I recommend using your Return air akin to ET.

I wrote a post which you may find to be helpful:
https://christopherferan.com/2021/04/21 ... -roasting/