1952 Gaggia Spagna Never Used - Page 5

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
IamOiman
Team HB

#41: Post by IamOiman »

I use teflon packing cord, 5/32" (4mm) thick for those packing glands. They will not be holding back boiler pressure but rather just preventing steam or water from leaving through the valve rod when the valve is opened and exiting through the steam or hot water pipe.

The inlet water valve I currenly have two 1/2" BSP diameter teflon gaskets I intend to use, and more teflon packing rope for the gland of the rod. I do not have a pic of this yet but I can show you when I disassembled it. My machine only had one spring.
-Ryan
Using a spice grinder violates the Geneva Convention
LMWDP #612

DJF (original poster)

#42: Post by DJF (original poster) »

Like this? I didn't even know that stuff existed. I'll order some Monday. That's a great help thank you.

I suspected the extra spring may have been a ring-in and I assume that 1/2 inch BSB is internal diameter?

Edit; Cripes! $35 for 1/2 a metre. :shock: Lowes in the US sell same for $2.35. I wonder if I can wind on enough teflon tape to do the same job.
"24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I don't think so."

Advertisement
DJF (original poster)

#43: Post by DJF (original poster) »

After reading Sander's Faema Marte post in gallery and the comment about it being a daily I'm super curious about sealing against of leaks.

My Spagna shares the same valve architecture and I'm nearly ready for the full-Monty assembly but can't quite see a satisfactory way of making the valves water tight along the rods. Ryan suggested Teflon sealing rope but it's either unavailable here or ridiculously expensive for tiny amounts.

I can put Viton washers in and use heaps of Teflon tape but other than that I'm a bit lost.

Sander, how did you assemble the valves to make it a daily?

IamOiman
Team HB

#44: Post by IamOiman »

This is the stuff I used (just under the Ace Hardware brand), after taking a look around on an Australian site. It appears to be out of stock but the product should be more easily found with the proper search terms

https://www.amazon.com.au/Danco-80794-V ... 134&sr=8-1
-Ryan
LMWDP #612

DJF (original poster)

#45: Post by DJF (original poster) »

Thanks. I found some 4mm square gland packing. Presumably that will do the same thing.

Sander1981

#46: Post by Sander1981 »

DJF wrote:Sander, how did you assemble the valves to make it a daily?
I only used rubber fittings, but I did make sure that they fit tight, and I used a very, very small amount of food-grade silicon grease to ease assembly. The only leak it has is that the Marte pushes out some water through the top of the group during warm up, along the piston rod. As soon as it is half-way up to temp, it stops. That is not much more than an espresso cup's worth of water, so nothing I worry about.

In fact, I trust it so much that I leave the house with the Marte on. Bear in mind that, compared to e.g. an E61, it has only very few fittings and connections. The taps, for instance, are connected straight to the boiler.

DJF (original poster)

#47: Post by DJF (original poster) »

Sander1981 wrote: it has only very few fittings and connections. The taps, for instance, are connected straight to the boiler.
Same with the Spagna. I think that was when Valente and Faema were still involved with Gaggia or just after hence some fittings being interchangeable. The only copper pipe on my Gaggia will be when I fit it up with a Sirai p/stat.

Advertisement
DJF (original poster)

#48: Post by DJF (original poster) »

No luck so far but one Gaggia/Marte fitting I'd like to be interchangeable are the sight class mounting gaskets. These ones almost look like the rubber bushes were integral with the brass sleeves. Not having much luck finding rubber gaskets big enough.

IamOiman
Team HB

#49: Post by IamOiman »

I just used the Faema E61 sight glass gaskets, stacking two of them on each side. I did this for the Faema machines and my Classica.

-Ryan
LMWDP #612

DJF (original poster)

#50: Post by DJF (original poster) »

That would be ironic. I have boxes of E61 stuff everywhere.