My 10th year old Behmor wants to retire. What's next? - Page 3

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
prof_stack

#21: Post by prof_stack »

Installing upgrade parts on the Behmor is NOT hard, but you might need patience and an uncluttered bench or tabletop to keep track of the fasteners.

As stated here, instructions are readily available at behmor.com, and others here and on the Facebook Behmor page are more than willing to help.

I've replaced, over the years, the infrared heating rods, motor, front and side boards (they now come as a set with the 2000 boards), afterburner, exhaust impeller exhaust fan assembly (lots of screws in that one), and small cooling fan inside. Cheap, too. I am not to be called a skilled tool person.

Yes, be sure to unplug the roaster before doing any of this. A recent reminder was needed, heh. :o :wink:
LMWDP #010

LindoPhotography

#22: Post by LindoPhotography »

I wasn't sure if this meant you've gone through 10 Behmors in 10 years :P But seems like it lasted you 10 years! That's awesome it lasted so long with so much use. Mine is probably that old but I haven't used it very much. Still kicking!
I agree you can probably repair or get a new Behmor 2000 if you like it, there are fancier profile-able machines if you're good with doing small batches like IKAWA or Sandbox Roaster. My friend loves his Ikawa (says no smoke, and repeatable / tweakable results!).

If you want something different but relatively cheap, I like my FreshRoast SR800 with extended chamber, it has about the same Behmor capacity but is basically a larger popcorn air popper with more control over the variables. I started with a popcorn machine so I kinda like that.

LeoZ (original poster)

#23: Post by LeoZ (original poster) »

great advice all around, everyone!

I am amused at how many have advised to not keep plugged in while working on the unit. I would recommend you go one step further and keep it unplugged UNLESS youre using it. the control board doesnt strike me as the most robust when it comes to protecting itself from spikes or surges.

LeoZ (original poster)

#24: Post by LeoZ (original poster) »

LindoPhotography wrote:I wasn't sure if this meant you've gone through 10 Behmors in 10 years :P But seems like it lasted you 10 years! That's awesome it lasted so long with so much use. Mine is probably that old but I haven't used it very much. Still kicking!
I agree you can probably repair or get a new Behmor 2000 if you like it, there are fancier profile-able machines if you're good with doing small batches like IKAWA or Sandbox Roaster. My friend loves his Ikawa (says no smoke, and repeatable / tweakable results!).

If you want something different but relatively cheap, I like my FreshRoast SR800 with extended chamber, it has about the same Behmor capacity but is basically a larger popcorn air popper with more control over the variables. I started with a popcorn machine so I kinda like that.
it seems my iphone was helping my grammar when i posted this. :oops: apologies i didnt pick up the error, but yes its kind of funny!

thx for the tips!

LeoZ (original poster)

#25: Post by LeoZ (original poster) »

funny you say this - recently moved into a new (for us) home. the scale of taking things apart is exponentially growing.. lol. toilets, insulation, walls, decks... it never ends :D

civ wrote:Hello:

Ahh ....
A brother in arms. 8^D !!!

An architect by profession, I take things apart from when I was ~5 years old.
My poor father (who was a good lawyer but could not use a screwdriver) never understood how I managed to take apart my first tricycle.

As I grew older, I came to think that nothing is really yours till you take it apart, completely.
Needless to say, it applies only to inanimate objects.

I'm glad to know the boiler-plate warning was not needed/redundant and look forward to seeing the result of your work on the Behemor.

Best,

CIV