1967 Olympia Cremina value

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
foam2

#1: Post by foam2 »

So a few years ago I was looking for a cremina and happened to find one locally. The machine was mint as far as I can tell and works great. I brought it to work and use it every now and again. When I looked at the serial number it is 671052 which means it is of the first year manufacture. Is there any value (I'm not trying to sell it) having a first year machine or from a collector perspective or does it not matter?

drgary
Team HB

#2: Post by drgary »

George, I'm guessing that if you were trying to sell it you could make the case for a few hundred $ more. Pristine condition of a vintage machine really helps, but you're not saying it's new in box (NIB). Do you have the box, the manuals and the accessories? That would be the equivalent of a fully-documented vintage watch. Those would add to its value for a collector. How much? It depends on what people are willing to pay. By the serial number, yours is the fifty-second unit produced.

Tom Chips, one of our Team HB members, found number 4 in 2011 and posted about it here:

Lever Espresso Machine Gallery

One thing you didn't mention is whether you've removed the asbestos insulation from the boiler and what condition that's in. If you haven't and it's intact, there may be a way to contain it, although I'm not in a position to recommend how to manage a hazardous material. This is something you could find out from your local county waste disposal people. If the asbestos isn't intact, some people remove it with water immersion following instructions in the Orphan Espresso site. If you do this yourself, you are responsible for doing it safely and for safe disposal. Probably this would be another good question for county waste disposal.

To the more fun stuff, many of us would enjoy seeing photos of your vintage '67 Cremina in the Lever Espresso Machine Gallery linked above.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

foam2 (original poster)

#3: Post by foam2 (original poster) »

Thanks for the information Gary. I posted photos of it a few years ago in the lever gallery. See link below. I have not opened the case but will take a look regarding the potential asbestos. I wasn't looking for a box and papers (watch reference) machine and didn't get the ancillary stuff but just got lucky with it being a first year I suppose. The reason I was asking is if years down the road I moved on from it, would I regret getting rid of an original. I know this isn't the same but I'm sure people sold 63 split window corvettes only to kick themselves later.

Lever Espresso Machine Gallery

drgary
Team HB

#4: Post by drgary »

What a beauty! Does your serial tag also list it as 220v crossed out to indicate 110v?
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Sw1ssdude

#5: Post by Sw1ssdude »

Lucky for you, a Cremina does not take up as much space as a '63 split window Corvette, and can be stored indoors much easier.

If you decide not to use it, just store it in a box in a dry place. Over the years, the gaskets will dry out, but all the Cremina gaskets are so common that i'm almost certain you'll find replacements in thirty years. All Olympias should be refurbished before use, no matter how long they were stored (or used) by someone else.

Do you still have the funky power cord plug? Those are absolute unobtainium! Take good care of it, it might suddenly be worth more than the machine.

Value? My guess is somewhere between 800 and 1200 swiss francs.
Lean Mean Caffeine Machine

Marmot

#6: Post by Marmot »

You have a Cremina in very good condition!
However I'm not sure it is in its original condition anymore. As far as I know the early Creminas have a cable you can plug in at the machine, like Sw1ssdude mentioned. You also have the more modern style of steam knob with the white disc inside. I guess your machine has been serviced before and some parts had to be exchanged.

espressotime

#7: Post by espressotime »

I had a 67 in perfect original condition three years ago.Bought it fot 1000 euros and sold it for 1000 euros 6 months later.
The one you've got I bought 10 years ago for 950 and sold it for 1100.

foam2 (original poster)

#8: Post by foam2 (original poster) »

Marmot

#9: Post by Marmot »

According to your serial number and the one on the machine from Tom Chips it looks like you have number 52. Although I do not know the exact numbering rule on Creminas.
It could be that there are different types of cables on the early Creminas because yours is made for the 110v market.

If you want to find out more I suggest you contact Migg Frei in Switzerland. He knows more about Olympia than anyone else I know of.
info@olympia-kaffeemachinen.ch

If you have problems communicating (I don't know how well he understands English :mrgreen: ) I could help out.

foam2 (original poster)

#10: Post by foam2 (original poster) »

Thank you - I will reach out to him.