Comparing Kafatek MC4 to Weber Workshops Key grinders? - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
chipman

#11: Post by chipman »

Flat burr grinder? Conical burr grinder? Put a blindfold on and most couldn't tell the difference.

baristainzmking (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#12: Post by baristainzmking (original poster) replying to chipman »

You are probably right, but it's a hobby and it's nice to have options. :D
Julia

Advertisement
Jshot
Supporter ♡

#13: Post by Jshot »

chipman wrote:Flat burr grinder? Conical burr grinder? Put a blindfold on and most couldn't tell the difference.
Exactly......but we're not most people lol
★ Helpful

JB90068
Supporter ❤

#14: Post by JB90068 replying to Jshot »

:D :D :D
Old baristas never die. They just become over extracted.

ira
Team HB

#15: Post by ira »

Hugonl28 wrote:Ok.. so if the MC4 is 'stellar' with light roasts, and 'excellent' for all other roast levels, maybe the sum is better than the Max
You would not be the first person to say this, including if memory serves me, someone who had both.

McPickle

#16: Post by McPickle »

chipman wrote:Flat burr grinder? Conical burr grinder? Put a blindfold on and most couldn't tell the difference.
You came into a topic discussing $2k+ grinders and you don't expect the people who read it to be able to tell the difference between flat and conical?

chipman

#17: Post by chipman »

Yes. there are so many more variables that go into how a particular drink tastes than if it was ground with a particular type of grinder.

Advertisement
jeffpresso

#18: Post by jeffpresso »

I can definitely tell a difference between my flats and the conical grinder I have. I'm interested in this thread as I want to get one of these endgame conicals a to compliment the Max I'm getting next week. I can tell the difference between my ghost burr and flat for pour over, as well. It seems that some may need to experience the difference first hand to believe there is a difference/improvement.

They key looks great, but does the alignment drift with the long shaft? The MC4 seems very interesting with the 2 stage grinding.

mbeck

#19: Post by mbeck »

jeffpresso wrote: They key looks great, but does the alignment drift with the long shaft? The MC4 seems very interesting with the 2 stage grinding.
My thoughts exactly. It's hard to tell on the Key based on user feedback so far. Some people (quite publicly) complaining about issues that could be alignment-related. But the vast majority (surely, must be, even though they've only shipped 570 grinders) seem satisfied.

I also recently got a Max, after using a Niche for a while. Nice to have both. At some point I may upgrade the Niche, but honestly 90% of my shots are coming from the Max right now and they taste delicious to me...