Cup for measuring/weighing/RDT coffee beans - Page 2

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
baldheadracing
Team HB

#11: Post by baldheadracing »

Epicurus wrote:Well darn, I was hoping I would go from the WW bean cellars to the dosing tray solely for RDT. The Key's dosing cup works, it's just a little small.
I think that the dosing tray would be great for loading the bean cellars. I use 2oz Mason jars instead of bean cellars, and the tray works well for loading without a funnel.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

DamianWarS

#12: Post by DamianWarS »

coldcoffee wrote:Hi All - Looking for a cup to weigh/RDT my beans in.

Ideally similar to the narrow one that comes with the Weber key.

Appreciate the help!
currently, I've been using the lid for the SD hopper of the baratza line, its some sort of rubbery material and is flexible so easy for pouring into something else. I'm not necessarily using the vario, just the SD hopper lid as a dosing cup. I like that it's flexible so an idea could also be a silicon measuring cup because it would be really easy for pouring too. sorry for the foreign website but something like this would be perfect, after seeing it I actually ordered it right away just for dosing.

JB90068
Supporter ❤

#13: Post by JB90068 »

I've found that when I use either glass or ceramic, the beans tend to stick to the inside of the container. Stainless on the other hand seems to be slipperier and the beans slide out more easily. The other thing that I've found is that with a narrow bottom RDT cup, you can't effectively mix the beans by just shaking them, thus having a wide belly is important to achieve a good mix.
When I receive my Key, I'm thinking of something along these lines although I'm unsure if it will have enough volume to easily mix the beans.
Old baristas never die. They just become over extracted.

jpender

#14: Post by jpender »

JB90068 wrote:I've found that when I use either glass or ceramic, the beans tend to stick to the inside of the container. Stainless on the other hand seems to be slipperier and the beans slide out more easily.
That's interesting. I frequently have a few beans stick in my Dixie cup when I RDT, which I do with darker roasts. I'll have to look around for a little S/S cup to try.

EDIT: I realized the catch cup of my old Porlex mini grinder is stainless steel and would suffice for a test. Well, for me, it didn't work any better. But I probably use too much water when I have a coffee that requires RDT. I should probably get a little spritzer.