Questions about new to me Kinu M47 Simplicity

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
jgood

#1: Post by jgood »

I just received a Kinu M47 Simplicity hand grinder. Beautifully made and even came with a fitted case. I am new to hand grinders so excuse my ignorance.
I didn't touch the setting --it was just just one notch above "zero" and the crank showed no resistance with the grinder empty. I tried a shot -- remarkably it was the same shot time as with my dialed in electric grinder. But the static was horrible. I had to wash out the grinds cup after and wipe out the bottom (inside) of the grinder. I used a dark traditional roast (Caffe Luxxe "Montenaro") that has a very slightly oily sheen. So three questions:
1) Should I try a spritz of water on the beans?
2) I'm assuming the numbering of grind size is just to be able to have a reference and basically means nothing -- is that so?
3) I noticed the bottom of the grind cup can be popped out and then clicks back in -- does this have any purpose?
Thanks!

jpender

#2: Post by jpender »

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. No

jgood (original poster)

#3: Post by jgood (original poster) »

Love that economical answer! Thanks.

mycatsnameisbernie

#4: Post by mycatsnameisbernie »

Although it's hard to improve on John's answers, I'll give you a bit more info. I have the original M47 (now called Classic) but I believe it has a similar adjustment mechanism to the Simplicity.

The grind dial can rotate multiple turns. When the dial is turned to maximum fineness, it will read "0". But at that point there is still a small amount of space between the burrs which you can observe by removing the catch cap and pushing the inner burr up. The actual calibration varies depending on how far up the barrel the outer burr was pushed during manufacturing. Mine dialed in for espresso around 0.7 to 1.0 turns depending on the beans. I've heard from other M47 owners who had to adjust theirs coarser for espresso.

If you ever want to use your M47 for pour over or other brewed coffee, you'll want to turn it about 4 to 5 turns from zero.

Hope that helps!

chaosrex

#5: Post by chaosrex »

I also have the simplicity and the bottom popping off is actually a great way to clean it. You can get everything out of the bottom rim that way.
Also, I believe you can buy the "classic" bottom and use that on the Simplicity as well.

jpender

#6: Post by jpender »

mycatsnameisbernie wrote:The grind dial can rotate multiple turns. When the dial is turned to maximum fineness, it will read "0". But at that point there is still a small amount of space between the burrs which you can observe by removing the catch cap and pushing the inner burr up. The actual calibration varies depending on how far up the barrel the outer burr was pushed during manufacturing. Mine dialed in for espresso around 0.7 to 1.0 turns depending on the beans. I've heard from other M47 owners who had to adjust theirs coarser for espresso.
Just for comparison, at 0.7-1.0 the burrs on my Kinu (a Phoenix) turn freely but won't grind because the beans won't feed. My Turkish setting is around 1.7-1.8. And espresso is 2.4-2.7.

chaosrex wrote:...the bottom popping off is actually a great way to clean it.
I've wondered if that was what Kinu had in mind or if it's just a byproduct of how they manufacture them. But as there are reports of the thin plastic cracking relatively easily I've avoided popping it out. It's not like you can't clean it without doing that.

Ad-85

#7: Post by Ad-85 »

Comandante VS Kinu? any thoughts?
LMWDB #691
LeverHeads group on Telegram

Ken5

#8: Post by Ken5 »

If it is really one notch, meaning 0.0.2, then there must be something wrong as it should be way to fine to let anything pass through the puck. Since you have not touched the dial you very well may be at 1.0.2, 2.0.2, etc. loosen the dial and see if it is truly at one notch. If not count the number of full revolutions past zero to find out that first number.

What kind of case came with your kinu? I didn't know they came with a case, though I do see a nice case available for sale at the kinu German site.

jgood (original poster)

#9: Post by jgood (original poster) »

The surprise case is a fitted foam lined zipper case with cutouts for the grinder body and for the handle. If I didn't mention it I ordered from Prima. Perfect for me as I got the grinder for my "travel kit" that I am assembling.

jgood (original poster)

#10: Post by jgood (original poster) »

Looping back to say thanks for the advice -- two or three spritzes and beautiful static free ground beans!