Most reliable brand of espresso machines? - Page 4

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
ShotPull

#31: Post by ShotPull »

I went with the ECM Synchronika based mostly on WLL's recommendation. The thing that pushed me off the fence was that it's easy to work on. I remember always letting out a stream of expletvies whenever I had to work on my Expobar Brewtus.

ira
Team HB

#32: Post by ira »

I never thought a Brewtus was hard to work on. Wounder how the ECM is easier?

Advertisement
ShotPull

#33: Post by ShotPull »

Easier to open. Easier to get to everything once it's open. Easier to move around while plummed in due to swivel water connector. That's off the top of my head, I'm sure there's more.

Pressino
Supporter ♡

#34: Post by Pressino »

ShotPull wrote:Easier to open. Easier to get to everything once it's open. Easier to move around while plummed in due to swivel water connector. That's off the top of my head, I'm sure there's more.
I agree with the above, especially the italicized statement. I really appreciate the internal layout of both the ECM Synch and the Profitec 700, so much easier to work on than most other machines. :D

drgary
Team HB

#35: Post by drgary »

Early on a restored Conti Prestina was suggested as a reliable machine. If you could still get all of the parts that would be true, but old, discontinued models like that are orphaned and parts become unavailable. Then you need to be really good at improvising or adapting many replacement parts, even though the lever group is still manufactured by Conti.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Maak

#36: Post by Maak »

Well I have a 40 yr old La Pavoni pub, Ive had it for over 20 years. Yes theres no pid ans its hx, but reliable and an excellent couple of espressos are created with it daily. One a lot newer newer just came up second hand here (NZ) for 450-600 NZD. All the parts are available and its easy to keep going. Id vouch for commercial grade anything.

Possible an e61 style with decent rotary pump should be reliable for many years. The less electronics on it the longer it will last as that it always the harder part to replace for older machines.

For even less to go wrong a lever style with a boiler (the boilerles ones havevdifficulty with regulating temp) would require less mainenance as no motor or pump. Something like the soon to be relesed argos by odyssy esspresso looks simple and capable.

Actually the same motors and pumps since the 60s are still widely available.

And dont forget the grinder. I brought a second hand mazzer for $500 20 years ago. I've extensivly customised it for single dose but it will last me forever i hope

sacguy71

#37: Post by sacguy71 »

A cheap metal Vietnamese phin filter machine based on a simple cup with filter is the most simple easy to deal with espresso maker. I am using mine while waiting for my Rocket Cellini to get repaired. Plus no power required if we get blackouts I can still make string tasty coffee! My repair tech tells me to avoid anything made by La Spaziale as they have poor support and parts are hard to come by. He recommended La Mazorcco, ECM and Rocket machines.

Advertisement
bostonbuzz

#38: Post by bostonbuzz »

I've had my Bezzera Strega HX for 8.5 years and had the following issues:

- Squeaky lever seals, greased seals once.
- The steam valve leaked a bit while steaming - replaced O-ring.
- The hot water tap would drip sometimes - replaced O-ring.
- Boiler pressure dropped a bit - turns out the gauge is getting a bit old, might replace it soon.

Add this list to no backflushing ever and never descaling and it's a great machine. I just did some heavy modifications and all the parts are 1/8" NPT and a pleasure to work on, no funky plumbing or electrical connectors. I'd assume their pump machines are the same. I think they're a bit late to the game on the latest pump machines, however.
LMWDP #353

marko16

#39: Post by marko16 »

I've been running a Quickmill Anita since 2009ish. Most of the parts that matter are pretty standard--so one brand making better espresso than another not so much at this level as they are all pretty much the same. What that meant for me was that I could fix it all myself with little trouble. They all look complex, but in the end they are quite simple. I wouldn't "upgrade" to fancy for any reason as now you've introduced something that can't be fixed at home.

Maak

#40: Post by Maak »

jkl.hkl.