Travel case for Kinu, Robot and steamer! - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
zix

#11: Post by zix »

Something that costs almost like a system camera, if you sum up what all the accessories cost? Naah, if I was flying I would want it on board. And squeeze in some underwear in a small bag inside it.
Too many checked in bags get lost or get redirected and disappear for days.
LMWDP #047

aspenextreme03

#12: Post by aspenextreme03 »

I feel the same. Was just wondering how tsa would look at it. I am pre check and clear but still you never know.

zix

#13: Post by zix »

Yeah, and everywhere it is different. Airline rules, airport security rules, international vs national rules... But for flying a lot, a case with foam cut outs like the ones in the pics must be the best, right? Very up front when you open it. Just add cutouts for the extra travel stuff.
For an international flight I would go with just the grinder/Robot, pack the Bellman/steamer in my check in bag and try to source a kettle in the country where I am going.
For a national flight I would try to cram Robot+grinder+steamer into my onboard bag and talk to the airline beforehand.
LMWDP #047

zix

#14: Post by zix »

The more I think of this, the more I think that a camera bag or backpack would be a good platform to build on. Enough cushioning, you can change the layout a lot, and there is often small pockets and other practical features.
And then, to separate the use cases, at least for flying and other travel.

Only for inspiration
Here is a collection of camera bags for flying:
https://www.shutterbug.com/content/carr ... bags-6-fly

For travelling on the ground, unless you want to go with the beautiful and sturdy cases already shown, maybe a Lowe ProTactic 450? Or something similarly square-looking.
https://camerajabber.com/lowepro-protac ... ii-review/
LMWDP #047

spromance

#15: Post by spromance »

zix wrote:Oh - where do you keep the coffee? Is it in the grinder?
Good question, I usually store outside the cases. The way I have it set up, there wouldn't be too much room for coffee. I suppose if I only had the one grinder, I could use the other space for a small bag or so...probably could also squeeze a bag in between the legs of the Robot...but fair point: the coffee does have to packed elsewhere given the current setup.

As far as water, I just take the gamble. I travel with some third wave packets (and can pick up RO if needed for that), if the tap/house source is not good enough.

I like the idea of some of those camera bags...but it would be hard to give up the tight fit the pick n pluck foam offers...I feel much more secure personally knowing nothing can really budge at all if the case is dropped...that said, I'm very obsessive about scratches in my equipment. Others might not care so much, which I envy!