Drum roaster electric conversion - - Page 3

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Chert (original poster)

#21: Post by Chert (original poster) »

Marcelnl wrote:Just have a look at replacement heaters, the food/restaurant industry is using. There are plenty of types, as it's horses for courses.

You need one that gets glowing red hot and does not need to be waterproof. You want enough power to heat up like 500g of beans in a reasonable amount of time, I'd bet that 2000-2500W is where you should be but the power rating for any electric roaster probably offers some guidance.

websites like this, usually not the cheapest source though https://horecatiger.eu/nl-nl/shop/elekt ... /elementen
Nice suggestions , and working elements aren't hard to find, just this side of the dump.

I have 1500 watts 5 1/2 inch to match the geometry of the gas I've used these years, an 8inch which on 240 volt calculates to 2200 and I found a dual element gennaire broiler element which if wired in parallel would be 4400. I spent $7. The challenge on the two larger would be to deform them to fit the small drum geometry. I shouldn't need to as the 1500 watts should do.

I arranged the tc4 fan control and element control for my electric set up today all tests good to go. However I must connect to my roast exhaust path before testing commences.

Thanks by the way to Jim G ( and all you others) for getting this tc4 system moving along so that electric element roasting is so controllable for te home roaster-tinkerer.
LMWDP #198

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#22: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

Chert is going to win the 2022 Coffee Finch Weinberg award for making the best roaster that will also bake pizza and feed his dog. I am rooting for you.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

Chert (original poster)

#23: Post by Chert (original poster) »

How did you know Buttercup loves coffee? Thanks for the props.
LMWDP #198

Chert (original poster)

#24: Post by Chert (original poster) »

There are electric roasters that recirculate air continuously, and vents gradually right? Hottop appears to do this. Doesn't Quest? Behmor? That way, an element of low surface area to heat ratio can make the air hot enough to roast. One pass like classic drum roasters can't do this, muse I.

Still musing - and back to the drawing board. I'll post why (failed first 1500 watt run) in detail later.
LMWDP #198