Rancilio Silvia Pro X Review - Page 5

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
BodieZoffa

#41: Post by BodieZoffa »

kc2hje wrote:And soft infusion aka pre infusion by any other vendor, a pressure gauge for grouphead pressure, a water tank level sensor, and another pump.

While I'm not thrilled with the price myself I would buy another one just like it. The E61 units have too much exposed high temp parts that I would be burning myself on, And I find that brushed stainless steel is more my speed for cleaning and scratch removal. Oh and lubing the lever internals the Silvia and the Silvia Pro X have both been solid machines with the only repairs being steam valve rebuilds, heating elements, and brew head gaskets.

As to the heat up time the brew boiler is ready and stable in about seven min, For the steam boiler your looking at a fifteen to twenty min wait.

With all that said it's up to you as a buyer its a great time as a buyer as there is a ton of options at all price points from 750.00 USD up to 8K and higher.

Chris
One thing I really like with the Pro/X is the internal layout. For any sort of repair needed it's a matter of taking the panels off (few minutes at most) and it's all right there with plenty of access to it all.

borrik

#42: Post by borrik »

BodieZoffa wrote:Same is quite often said about the Linea Mini... you have a few boilers, a frame, rotary pump and it becomes ridiculously expensive for what it is/can do.
Yepp, this is the price of engineering, precision and material quality. In Linea mini you won't find washing machine water level sensor like used in Pro X :wink:

BodieZoffa

#43: Post by BodieZoffa replying to borrik »

Makes no real world difference as it simply works. Seemingly far more dependable that other types and cheap if it ever needs replacing. Thing with Rancilio is it will perform well and do so indefinitely. I expect my machine to serve me the rest of this lifetime to be honest.

JRising
Team HB

#44: Post by JRising replying to BodieZoffa »

Seriously. I have (Since 2007 when I began working for distributors of Rancilio machines) replaced one level sensor pressure switch, that was within the last three months on a Classe 5... In all those years I have replaced at least a hundred floating magnet types, several contact strip types and wasted hours upon hours trying to explain to "wonderful people" that distilled water doesn't conduct electricity no matter how Italian your grandparents are and how much more about "espresso" they know than I do.

I'm not a huge fan of the "Air Bell" in the reservoir for its inconvenience, but it certainly is reliable.

Nightbreezer

#45: Post by Nightbreezer »

I also have a Silvia Pro X. So far i am quite happy with the shots.

However, is it normal that the water that comes out the hot water spout flows slowly and only as a rather thin stream? I like to use the water to preheat my cups. But after filling 2 espresso cups, the pump already comes back on and the light flashes again. So have to wait until I can steam milk. Steam boiler temperature is set at max temperature.

Is that normal?

stefano65
Sponsor

#46: Post by stefano65 replying to Nightbreezer »

yes it is intentionally a fairly slow not to deplete the boiler too fast and the thermal stability and of course damages to the HE and related resettable circuit
Stefano Cremonesi
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repairs & sales from Oregon.

dfuller

#47: Post by dfuller »

I think my only gripe with the SPX is the steam boiler only hitting about 1.3 bar. With the steam tip that comes stock, that isn't really enough pressure if you want to bang out drinks back to back with the service boiler's dinky little 850w element (which, seriously?).

adgeq

#48: Post by adgeq »

Update: May 2023.

So it's been a little over a year with the Rancilio Silvia Pro X and I'm still pretty happy with it.

The espresso is always amazingly consistent. Machine is also quick to warm up (between 12-15 minutes). As a matter of fact, after dialing in a couple of different beans, and taking notes on each of them for weeks... the shot always comes out clean and yields exactly the same amount of grams within the SAME EXACT amount of seconds each time. I haven't had to use a scale to measure output as often as I thought I would need to.

My steaming temperature is set to the lowest because I use a certain almond milk. The steam output is quite powerful, so I rarely turn the knob past 180 degrees as the type of milk I use can't thicken with too much power.

I have noticed recently though that when I steam AND pull a shot at the same time, the steam loses temperature and pressure significantly quicker than if I had separated the two. The light for the steamer goes out in maybe 15-20-seconds if I pull a shot simultaneously. The power becomes weak in the first 10 seconds, even if I turn the valve past 180 degrees. -- this is ONLY when I pull a shot AND steam at the same time. Otherwise, they work fine by themselves.

charlie_eddie

#49: Post by charlie_eddie »

Tisserand wrote: - Brew - this has been a bit of a different story for me. I had on hand some of Revel's Ethiospro, largely Ethiopian, and fairly light-roasted espresso blend. I usually really enjoy this coffee, but I was definitely running higher temps on the older Silvia to avoid sourness in the cup. This has been a challenge with the Pro X. Even with the brew boiler cranked to 212F / 100C, I'm getting a very acidic espresso at a 2:1, 18g/36g. The machine is limited to "boiling point", but i'm concerned that the calibration on my machine could be off. I used to run the old Silvia up to where I was getting steam out of the group to mark boiling, then walk back from there.

Has anyone else had trouble with lighter roasts? Temperature in general?

I have concerns about how the machine was handled, and even after I took it apart and used a fan for several hours to dry it out, I don't want to find out that the machine rusted from the inside out years from now. I will be exchanging the machine with the supplier regardless.
I just got my Silvia Pro X and I'm having the SAME problem. Shots on the OG Silvia with light roasts were amazing, I pulled my shots right when the boiler light turns off.

On the Pro X, using the exact same coffee, I'm getting sour, thin, dry tasting shots. I cranked the PID to 212 and It's closer to what I was pulling on the OG Silvia, but still not as good. Did you find a solution?

cedboe
Supporter ♡

#50: Post by cedboe »

Hey Silvia Pro X users !

Maybe a stupid question, but is there an easy way to change pressure on the Pro X ? I would love having 7 bars but I guess it's just a dream...

Thanks for any input ! Couldn't find anything on the web...

Cheers !