Need a good all-around coffee bean - Page 2

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
PIXIllate
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by PIXIllate »

baristainzmking wrote:I followed your advice and ordered Gamma, Super Nova and Black Out for the more classic taste my guests prefer in their cappuccinos. I find that I am underwhelmed with these coffees. What do you recommend for temperature, extraction time and yield?
My parameters for these are 18/33g in a VST 18g basket at 202F. EY% in the 21-23% range depending on the coffee. My normal extraction times are in the 35-40 second range with the flow profile I describe in this thread:

An Even MORE Considered Approach to E61 Flow Control (now with video)

See here for a discussion of the water I use:

Help Assessing City Water Report/Choosing Treatment Options

Can you describe to me what the straight shots are tasting like with the individual coffees? I had some Gamma this morning and I was getting caramel, cocoa, syrupy cherry and a fairly thick mouthfeel. If I remember correctly this mornings shots might have been a gram shorter in output.

baristainzmking
Supporter ♡

#12: Post by baristainzmking replying to PIXIllate »

Today I used gamma. I follow a similar profiling techniques with my Bianca. It is set to 92°C. 18 grams in, bring up pressure to 2 maybe 2.5 bars waited 15 seconds and then open up the flow. I slow it down towards the end of extraction, but not as much as you do in your video. The shot was just boring. I didn't get any great flavor notes. No caramel or cherry. It was not all that syrupy and body was average.. maybe it's just me and my very undeveloped palette.

Edited to add that the yield was 32 grams
Julia

Advertisement
PIXIllate
Supporter ♡

#13: Post by PIXIllate replying to baristainzmking »

What's your water like? Did you use the MC4 or MAX? How many pounds have you run through each of them?

Try 94C. Have you tested the offset of your machine to see if the temperature is accurate? Mine sure wasn't.

Profitec Pro 600 Owner Experience

luca
Team HB

#14: Post by luca »

Have the coffees aged enough?
LMWDP #034 | 2011: Q Exam, WBrC #3, Aus Cup Tasting #1 | Insta: @lucacoffeenotes

baristainzmking
Supporter ♡

#15: Post by baristainzmking »

PIXIllate wrote:What's your water like? Did you use the MC4 or MAX? How many pounds have you run through each of them?

Try 94C. Have you tested the offset of your machine to see if the temperature is accurate? Mine sure wasn't.

Profitec Pro 600 Owner Experience
I am using MC4 and it is well seasoned with over 25 pounds by this time. Changed the temperature to 94. My machine temperature has been calibrated as the offset originally was off. The coffee is 14 to 17 days post roast. Interesting enough, Gamma is the darkest roast of the three.it is darker than SuperNova and the Blackout. All roasts are medium, and maybe on the lighter side...
Julia

PIXIllate
Supporter ♡

#16: Post by PIXIllate replying to baristainzmking »

Try the MAX. I prefer them on my Flat over the MC4.

My Roast Vision would disagree with your assessment of the roast level. I've measured 5-6 bags of each and the Blackout is always darker.

Personally I use the Gamma and Supernova interchangeably.

This morning I went from Gamma to Tim Wendelboe Cabellero Catuai. All great coffee.