Rinsing pour-over filters - Page 2

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
yakster
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by yakster »

A few years ago I went a week without rinsing Kalita Wave filters to see if I could notice a difference. This wasn't a blind taste test but I picked up an astringent taste to my small-batch pour-overs (Kalita 155 mostly, IIRC) so I went back to rinsing.

For larger batches in my Behmor, I don't rinse the filter first. I believe that the unrinsed filter makes more of a flavor contribution in smaller batches.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

baldheadracing
Team HB

#12: Post by baldheadracing »

LBIespresso wrote:I encourage others to try the same and report back.

I was using Kalita 185 wave filters.
A few years ago, I tried brewing a paper filter "tea" with a "no name" brand basket filter. I could easily pick out the paper filter tea vs. water at the same temperature (multiple cups, blinded).

However, with a V60-01 filter (from the original factory in Japan) or the KONO filter, I couldn't tell a difference. I'm not saying that there isn't a difference, just that I couldn't tell. I recently purchased a bunch of filters to try out (Sample packs of different V60/cone filters) so I'll be repeating the test.

In a slightly different experiment, I looked at the usual rinsing practice of having the V60-01 filter in the dripper and pouring hot water. There I could notice a taste difference. However, the rinsed filter was wet, and the new filter wasn't (I poured water on just the dripper for the new filter.) I then compared new V60-01 filters vs. rinsed filters that had been dried out, and could not taste a difference. Again, not saying that there isn't a difference, just that I couldn't tell.

These days I take the lid off of the Stagg EKG kettle and sit the (not-plastic) dripper and filter on the kettle to warm things up.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

TomC
Team HB

#13: Post by TomC »

RapidCoffee wrote:I've had the opposite experience. The light roast CAFEC filters extract well (and draw down nicely) in my V60 pourovers; IMHO better than the (much thicker) Hario V60 filters. I especially dislike the brown Hario filters.

BTW I always rinse my filters, although that's purely based on recommendations from others.

John, what's your typical batch size with these?

I jumped onto this thread mainly because it was the most recent to discuss the Cafec filters, which I'm interested in hearing about, not so much about filter rinsing, but that's my fault for not starting a separate thread.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

RapidCoffee
Team HB

#14: Post by RapidCoffee »

TomC wrote:John, what's your typical batch size with these?
20g in the on-cup dripper and 30g in the decanter, at a 1:15 brew ratio. Typically a lighter roast (currently Ethio Guji and Guat honey process).
John

TomC
Team HB

#15: Post by TomC replying to RapidCoffee »

That's exactly what I've been doing (20g).

I coarsened the grind on the R120 today and got the V-60 to finish 20g 1:15 at 4 minutes exactly. I don't like widening the R120 to this coarseness because it becomes extremely uneven with these tiny doses in such a massive grinder. So I'll probably cut my dose and return to the grind I prefer which is much more consistent in size visually.

ojt

#16: Post by ojt »

I've been rinsing the filters (Kalita 185) just by running some tap water through them. This is mostly to save the brew water which I hate wasting, and also because like Craig above I heat my Origami cone with the kettle. Will try not rinsing.

Haven't run an experiment - wish I had the time - but would interesting to see if it makes any difference whether or not the rinsing water is hot.
Osku

mkane
Supporter ♡

#17: Post by mkane »

TomC wrote:That's exactly what I've been doing (20g).

I coarsened the grind on the R120 today and got the V-60 to finish 20g 1:15 at 4 minutes exactly. I don't like widening the R120 to this coarseness because it becomes extremely uneven with these tiny doses in such a massive grinder. So I'll probably cut my dose and return to the grind I prefer which is much more consistent in size visually.

I can't even come close to 4 minutes drawdown.2:30 at best. It must be the water. TDS is less than 50 ppm. This is with Cafec medium filter.

Edit: 3 minutes with dark roast filters. I may try and stiffen up the water. 20g dose also @ 15:1

mkane
Supporter ♡

#18: Post by mkane »

Just checked TDS and it's 68 ppm. I added some 'regular' water and it bumped this number up to 116 cold. This made a 20 sec difference. I'll grind finer next time. I may look like dust. I'm using the HG-1.

TomC
Team HB

#19: Post by TomC »

Interestingly, today I brewed the same recipe as before, again at the finer grind that I usually use, and got a total brew time of 2:40s. I only changed one variable, I didn't stir the bloom.

mkane
Supporter ♡

#20: Post by mkane »

I've been using the Cafec method