Convert a Redbird Cappuccino Drinker? - Page 4

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
lancealot

#31: Post by lancealot »

Bigfoot Espresso from Happy Mug Coffee is cheap and cheerful.

nameisjoey

#32: Post by nameisjoey replying to lancealot »

The last time I had that, it was not very good. This was probably a year or so ago, but it was not what I had from them the few times previously.

Advertisement
toolate (original poster)

#33: Post by toolate (original poster) »

Nossa Full Cycle does indeed hot the spot. Great value too.
Thanks. Any others you like in that category/price point?
drgary wrote:Saka is much darker than the Redbird I remember. I like it for a good smooth Neapolitan roast and pull it cooler than most to reduce bitterness and enhance sweetness. Have you tried Nossa Familia Full Cycle as a nice medium roast?

drgary
Team HB

#34: Post by drgary »

Tafuri Ravello. Tafuri is Saka's other brand.

Also possibly Stumptown Hairbender.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

kris772
Supporter ♡

#35: Post by kris772 »

If burnt taste, I do something like 2 sec flush, 45sec rebound and pull. HXs are sometimes a bit of a pita, but I am currently enjoying a redbird brazil sweet blue. Today PID boiler temp set to 226 so pressure ~0.8, but still plenty of steam when I latte. I will keep lowering it until I find that limit. Lower boiler pressure does seem to make beans more forgiving. - the dragon (Livia 90S) doesn't breathe quite so much fire... for those who don't read me I usually do something like 18.4 -> 30g, 25sec.
Life is too short for bad espresso! - Thunk-ed, NOT stirred!

spressomon

#36: Post by spressomon »

FYI/FWIW, after searching for lower acidity beans for my wife, I just got done with 2lbs each of George Howell's Daterra Espresso and Daterra Sundrop and just ordered 2lbs each of same again today. One of the best, if not the best, Brazil beans I've had in a long, long time. If you nail the perimeters they both taste like their described flavor profile/notes (which I find somewhat rare these days of hyper marketing everything, including coffee beans). https://store.georgehowellcoffee.com/coffees/brazil/

Thanks to Jim aka @Another_Jim, I ground more course & updosed and hit flavor targets for the above two GH beans.

Although I have had good beans from Tony's ("light" roast level from them), their Espresso Classico is too dark for me. Even lowering brew temp, updosing, coarser grind, etc., its too ashy for my tastes.
No Espresso = Depresso

toolate (original poster)

#37: Post by toolate (original poster) »

sure it good and it is nearly 2x as expensive as redbird

Advertisement
drgary
Team HB

#38: Post by drgary »

You get what you pay for. George Howell's coffees are at a different quality level than Redbird.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

spressomon

#39: Post by spressomon »

I need to edit my post above...I finally hit pay dirt with Tony's Espresso Classico by lowering the Slayer to 192F, using a 28.5 IMS Competition basket, 20.0 gram dose and 6-second PB/PI, 8-BAR, etc. Its an intense chocolate/tobacco bomb with thick heavy crema. Works really well in a tight cappuccino.
No Espresso = Depresso

kris772
Supporter ♡

#40: Post by kris772 »

toolate wrote:sure it good and it is nearly 2x as expensive as redbird
The first reason I keep buying RB is taste, the second is price.
spressomon wrote:I need to edit my post above...I finally hit pay dirt with Tony's Espresso Classico by lowering the Slayer to 192F, using a 28.5 IMS Competition basket, 20.0 gram dose and 6-second PB/PI, 8-BAR, etc. Its an intense chocolate/tobacco bomb with thick heavy crema. Works really well in a tight cappuccino.
I think there's a lesson here, with any bean. Keep playing with it...
Life is too short for bad espresso! - Thunk-ed, NOT stirred!