Rancilio Silvia spitting out some black specks - Page 2

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
icrashbikes (original poster)

#11: Post by icrashbikes (original poster) »

baldheadracing wrote:My guess is it is coffee buildup caused by a malfunctioning 3-way valve.
I considered that too. I'm not confident I can thoroughly clean the 3 way valve in the condition it's in so I ordered a replacement. I figured getting the updated boiler and element were prudent anyway. I'd rather be thorough than thrifty.

#12: Post by icrashbikes (original poster) »

So just a quick update, I cleaned up all the new parts and got the machine mostly assembled. I'm just waiting on that stainless braided line, the original was pretty badly gunked up. I had to run it through the ultrasonic cleaner just to get the fitting to move.

New boiler, fresh thermal paste:

I decided against polishing every brass surface I could find. I do have other things to do with my life. I may also be planning a full rebuild in the future where I'll polish the brass, redo the wiring and cut a top cover out of Lexan so the internals will be visible. But for now the insides are clean.

I put the front all back together to see how it would look without the chrome cover. I like it. I know it will get hot but I think I can avoid burning myself. And if not, I'll put the cover back on later.

Some of the stainless panels have water stains on them that I can't seem to get out. Any suggestions? Other than that, I'm just excited to get it dialed in and make some coffee. I picked up some Black Cat this morning, it used to be my favorite.

Advertisement

#13: Post by icrashbikes (original poster) »

Just wanted to thank everyone for the help here. After a LOT of trial and error, I'm flirting with a decent cup of espresso. The machine is working flawlessly and I'm keeping it spotless to avoid any of the same issues in the future.

Currently parked by the sink, easy access to water

kc2hje

#14: Post by kc2hje »

The polishing on the grouphead is outstanding, there great little machine's good luck with it.

Chris