Ditting 804 single dosing mods

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
TigerStripes

#1: Post by TigerStripes »

I wanted to share the mods I put on my kr804 with lab sweet burrs. It's now a fantastic ultra low retention single dosing grinder.

I picked up the silicone bopper off aliexpress for $20. I used moldable plastic to fashion a funnel inside the bopper and around the outside to hold it in place.

The catch cup is a Kenma Tsubame 300ml tumbler. It wasn't cheap, but it is polished on the inside and works great for dosing out espresso grinds.

LMWDP #715

mtbizzle

#2: Post by mtbizzle »

neat! any idea how much height this takes off of the 804? I wonder if anyone has made a 3d printed part for this.
"All people by nature desire to know" -Aristotle

Advertisement
Marmot

#3: Post by Marmot »

Great mod!
I'm afraid this takes almost no weight off the 804 since the weight of the hopper is negligible compared to the rest of the body. But on the other side the weight is necessary to hold it in place due to the strong motor.
I think more important is the reduction in height. I wonder if you can make a rectangular hole in the table and sink some part of the body into it.
On another note, don't you want to take the bag shaker plate off? I think if you also grind for filter it might be better to reduce the amount of fines in your grind (some get accumulated in the chute if you don't knock while using it without a bag shaker).

jb-0101

#4: Post by jb-0101 »

Great! Been looking for a bopper/bellows for my 804. Can you link the one you bought?

TigerStripes (original poster)

#5: Post by TigerStripes (original poster) replying to jb-0101 »

I bought this one off aliexpress:

Grinder Press And Blow To Clean Up The Remaining Powder Of The Grinding Disc Small Bean Bin Coffee Grinder Powder Outlet

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003 ... d:14767625
LMWDP #715

TigerStripes (original poster)

#6: Post by TigerStripes (original poster) »

Marmot wrote:Great mod!
I'm afraid this takes almost no weight off the 804 since the weight of the hopper is negligible compared to the rest of the body. But on the other side the weight is necessary to hold it in place due to the strong motor.
I think more important is the reduction in height. I wonder if you can make a rectangular hole in the table and sink some part of the body into it.
On another note, don't you want to take the bag shaker plate off? I think if you also grind for filter it might be better to reduce the amount of fines in your grind (some get accumulated in the chute if you don't knock while using it without a bag shaker).
That would be pretty sweet to counter sink the 804 into the table. I don't really mind the height though. I haven't really been bothered by the bag shaker plate. I'm not really sure what it does to be completely honest. :D
LMWDP #715

Marmot

#7: Post by Marmot »

I still have the bag shaker plate on my 1203s and haven't come around to take them off. It should be a pretty easy task though.
I think the "problem" with the bag shaker plate is that it has an effect similar to constantly knocking the chute. This is a good thing when you grind for espresso as you will end up with almost no retention. But when you want to grind for filter and reduce the amount of fines I think it is detrimental. The fines accumulate in the chute during grinding.
On my 804 I just grind and then knock the chute afterwards to separate the fines from the ground coffee for filter. There is always a considerable amount even when grinding very coarse which influences the taste would it be added to the filter brew. On a grinder with bag shaker plate almost all of it will end up in the ground coffee.
But this really is only of concern if you do filter brews.

Advertisement
gilbert

#8: Post by gilbert »

How is the bag shaker plate removed, via the 3 screws?
Is it possible to leave it in place and just disconnect the vibrating part?

Asbjoern

#9: Post by Asbjoern »

Hi

Disassembly of the shaker mechanism is quite straight forward.

See link to spare parts manual below. remove screws pos 19 and 32 to remove the front plate. Then disassemble the "shaker" rod/linkage by unscrewing pos 34 with a 10mm spammer while locking the rotor shaft with pos 37. Pos 34 is secured with loctite.

https://www.dittingswiss.ch/system/file ... Filter.pdf

gilbert

#10: Post by gilbert »

Thanks, I figured this out, disconnected the bag shaker quite easily, though I'm not sure it makes any difference when dosing to a cup really
Every time I move this grinder, or pull parts apart, I'm amazed at the build quality. Very good tolerances and it's build like a tank, also easy to work on. Such a cool grinder