Panama Lerida Gesha - Page 7

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
mkane
Supporter ♡

#61: Post by mkane »

It will go well with additives

LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#62: Post by LBIespresso »

LBIespresso wrote:I really was going to wait a week...I really was. I made it 4 days and just grabbed it when I made my PO this morning.

OK. I understand the hype about gesha now. Shocking body for a very light roast. Very sweet.

Dave scared me that it would be puckeringly sour but there is, at most, a late hit of sour on the finish but not in a bad way. But I like fermented foods so I like my sour tastes. It really is a well balanced sweet sour until the finish. Then it is sour dominant but not in an offensive way. I imagine if you like sugar in your coffee it would go well with that finish. The sweet is a very open, honey like sweet or maybe dulce de leche sweetness. It's room temp now and there is only a few sips left. I am going to go enjoy them and promise myself to wait a few more days to try it again. But now I wish I bought more.

Thanks Dave!
I managed to make it to 2 weeks before trying it as espresso. Got it right on my second shot. Dang...this stuff is good.

First shot (Mono Max LU burrs and a Streitman) 15.5 in 30 out in 50 seconds (8 second pre/8 second ramp first drops 20 seconds)
- Echos of Dave telling me that this roast was dropped a tad soon ringing in my head. It was good but unbalanced towards lemon.

Second shot 15.5 in 18 out in 90 seconds with first drops around 30 seconds. I could drink a mug of this. First taste is Meyer lemon and before it gets to the point of sour it just mellows towards plum then fades into a honey and floral bouquet. Best shot of the 2022 :lol:

My next roast will be 2 pounds because I really want to be able to try this as it ages without stressing about how long it will last. I plan on tacking on 2 degrees and about 12 seconds and see what that gets me.

Honestly, if I improve on this roast at all I may just need to buy a 22 lb box
LMWDP #580

Advertisement
TallDan

#63: Post by TallDan »

Looks like I'm way behind the group here. First roast and not a real pretty graph:

Going to try to hold out for a while before trying it, but there's room for improvement here.

akirapuff

#64: Post by akirapuff »

looks like too much heat making it FC early but also dropped late as well? For me I noticed these beans need less heat than most other beans.

mkane
Supporter ♡

#65: Post by mkane »

Last bit of our last roast as a 19/300g PO, 2-weeks off. Simply wonderful. Lemony, crannie, sweet, and delicate.

TallDan

#66: Post by TallDan »

I'm not used to "too much heat" being a problem with my roaster, it's more typically "not enough heat". But yes, this definitely seems like I can use less heat early in the roast, or not have my charge temp so high. DE and FC came much faster than what I'm used to. FC starting at such a low temp (i think i even marked it late) surprised me. The batch weighed 454g before roasting and 395g after, so 13% loss. The drop temp was what I was intending, so my planned changes for next roast is less heat early, maybe less air later. It will be at least a couple weeks before I roast it again, so I'll taste and see how I feel about the drop temp.

Since I don't show them in my graph, heat was 95% at start, 80% @DE. Fan 30% at start, 50% @DE, 60% @360F, 70% @375F.

TomC
Team HB

#67: Post by TomC »

I took my first attempt at this coffee yesterday as my last roast of the run of 3. I just replaced a broken RDT BT probe (cracked the ferrule when trying to move two different probes around) and I took the opportunity to downsize from the original 4mm to a 1/8". The profile I got resembles many others already posted on here, but lacks gas/air information because I'd just set up Artisan on my Windows tablet and haven't finished setting up and troubleshooting on my Mac.

This profile is on 2 second sampling and 0 smoothing, 10 second BT span. I'll still make adjustments as I go along.

You folks haven't seen Artisan profiles from me in quite some time, basically since I sold my Quest M3 and upgraded to my Santoker 500 some 3 years ago. I hemmed and hawed and procrastinated on all the upgrades I was planning to do with additional thermocouples and the whole monitoring setup, but finally made it a priority. I'm pretty happy with this profile, being only my third batch since getting both a new probe and finally back on Artisan, I think it turned out well. The hard part will be giving it enough rest. I just brewed a small batch and my experiences mirror that of others in terms of body, mouthfeel and smoothness. It's definitely lacking the traditional bergamot and lavender found in most geshas, but I'll withhold final judgment for a while.

Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/