Grind Size & Brew Pressure Relationship - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
DamianWarS

#11: Post by DamianWarS »

mcp111 wrote:I've got an Aeropress so I'll try the filter at the bottom. I do WDT, but not familiar with RDT. Haven't had issues with channeling that I'm aware of.
RDT is a drop of water mixed in with the beans before you grind them (called Ross Droplet Technique) You can get a little spray bottle, fill it with water and spray the coffee or as simple as dipping the handle end of a spoon into water then using that handle to stir beans before grinding. Hoffmann shows this in an early video of his. WDT reduces static and I have always thought it helps to reduced regrinding which would be better for consistency. I'm not sure if RDT would do a whole lot but it's so simple to do so why not. I know the Settle has really fluffy grinds and it would be interesting to see the effects of RDT if it makes the grinds less fluffy or how it impacts a shot.

cafeIKE

#12: Post by cafeIKE »

For a given coffee, espresso prep parameter troika members are dose, grind & pressure - with pressure being the minority member.

While you maybe using the same dose as the shop, does your basket have the same profile and allow the same head space as the shop's machine?

From the original post, I'd recommend reducing the dose until you get a flow you like, then adjust grind and dose in opposite directions for taste, maintaining a constant pressure. Once dose and grind are satisfactory, work on the pressure.

If you haven't, read Espresso 101: How to Adjust Dose and Grind Setting by Taste

Before you embark on falderal like paper filters and puck screens, master the troika.

mcp111 (original poster)

#13: Post by mcp111 (original poster) »

cafeIKE wrote: While you maybe using the same dose as the shop, does your basket have the same profile and allow the same head space as the shop's machine?
I wondered if this had an effect. The shop's basket is definitely wider and flatter than the Robot's. I've experimented with everything - dose from 17-22 grams, Pressure and time of pull, etc, etc. Only with their grind did I like the results, it just didn't have any pressure which was surprising.

mcp111 (original poster)

#14: Post by mcp111 (original poster) »

Brewzologist wrote:But seriously, OP; can you elaborate on the "taste" you are looking for? To Jeff's point, different grinders often favor different taste profiles. In the case of flats with SSP burrs many are going for clarity and flavor separation. Conicals may favor body/mouthfeel and a more integrated taste.
Wish I could be more articulate here - I'm not a barista or aficionado - theirs just tastes better! I would say it is very well balanced, not overly fruity or acidic. It has a real nutty, woody finish. I tend to drink Americanos most of the time, but even there it still has pretty good body. My shots at home with my setup tastes like I'm using a completely different coffee, and no matter how many parameters I've changed, the change in taste is always minimal. With their grind, it was very close to the taste of them pulling the shot on their machine.

VoidedTea

#15: Post by VoidedTea »

mcp111 wrote: It is easily noticeable that it is much finer than I've been doing at home. But the shots have almost no pressure. With my grind, I have to use everything I have to get the shot to go, and I never like the results. With the grind from the shop, it tastes great and similar to what theirs taste like when I get a cup there.
So the grind from the shop looks much finer, yet pulls with almost no pressure, while yours looks coarser but you have to give it all to get going? That seems like a grinder problem. Maybe your burrs are worn down or somehow misaligned. I had exactly the same issue but with a much cheaper burr grinder. The grind was very inconsistent, and I never had a good tasting results even when almost choking the machine. Switched the grinder and problem was solved. I also use the Robot. Maybe you can post a picture of your grind vs the store one. Would be easier to discuss and rule it out. But based on what you said - store grinds tastes great with the Robot and your grind with the same beans and same Robot doesn't - it is definitely the grinder.

mcp111 (original poster)

#16: Post by mcp111 (original poster) »

cafeIKE wrote: If you haven't, read Espresso 101: How to Adjust Dose and Grind Setting by Taste

Before you embark on falderal like paper filters and puck screens, master the troika.
I just got back to this thread. I do understand the troika, but I just tried to follow these instructions with the Robot. To get the shot to go, I had to hold at a preinfuse for about 20-25 seconds. The shot took about 40 seconds. Taste is OK. But, I still don't think that my grind is as fine as what my local shop does. The shot is already hard to pull and I think I need to go finer.

Someone suggested that the fines created by my grinder is the issue. Is that really what it is? I thought the Sette was supposedly a good grinder capable of espresso grinds.