Rancilio should add PID to the Silvia - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
MAVE86
Supporter

#11: Post by MAVE86 »

I agree! I just upgraded my Silvia PID to a Silvia PRO and I cant find a huge difference in the espresso quality. DB is a plus but I leave the steam boiler off the 95% of the time. I think I will return it ASAP

kc2hje

#12: Post by kc2hje »

baldheadracing wrote:Rancilio would have to add hardware in quite a few places to get a timer function into the base Silvia. It would take a lot of internal redesign; to essentially a Pro minus the steam boiler. I don't see the market supporting it, as the selling price would be uncomfortably close to the Pro's price.

The SCG PID is an aftermarket kit that doesn't meet (and arguably can't meet) the same electrical certification requirements as the Silvia so it isn't a fair comparison.

^^ this is 100% correct for Rancilio do do this would require recertifying the machine and to add the timer function for power on would put the cost around 1200 and the aftermarket has done this as well so I would bet that if they did bring this to market sales world be cannibalised by people DIYing for less.