E61 - Left unused for 1 month. Now espresso brews cool? - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
dsc106 (original poster)

#11: Post by dsc106 (original poster) »

Thanks Dan. I'll look into this foam cup option for something more accurate.

I suppose I'm not trying to get an accurate temp as much as I am trying to feel out a rough, comparative reference point with others to see if my temps are ballpark in line, or if there may be something wrong with my machine.

HB
Admin

#12: Post by HB »

I get that, but the "in cup" temperature measurements aren't really comparable. Depending on the speed of the thermometer, the initial temperature of the cup, the speed of the water flow, you'll get anywhere from 150 to 180. TL;DR - I consider that temperature measurement method somewhere between misleading and worthless.
Dan Kehn

dsc106 (original poster)

#13: Post by dsc106 (original poster) »

Preheated cup, fast digital thermo, 70F ambient, 11g/sec water flow. Temp in pitcher taken immediately, in the mid to upper 170s F, then, seems to indicate (since I'm high end) that I'm likely just fine and not undershooting other peoples temps significantly, I'd think? Espresso temp @ 156F 10 seconds after brewed.

In any case I ordered some foam cups that will arrive Tuesday so I'll have to wait until then to get a more accurate temp. But my initial concerns that something has gone wrong with my machine may have been unfounded, perhaps?

cafeIKE

#14: Post by cafeIKE »

If I had an FCD on an e61, I might be inclined to give it a full travel or two if I'd left the machine for quite a while.

dsc106 (original poster)

#15: Post by dsc106 (original poster) »

Dan - low tech 8oz styrofoam cup test w/instant read thermo got me 195F in the cup with a 199F PID temp, so it would seem things are likely right on since even with the cup there will be a few degrees temp loss?

CafeIKE - thanks for the input on the FCD. Curious, why would this matter?

cafeIKE

#16: Post by cafeIKE »

Conceptually, it shouldn't. But I'd do it anyway just to make sure it felt the same as when I left it.